Giving up , best place to sell

maggyd

Well the time seems to have come to give up our camping/motorhoming way of life . :-( O.H is now 82 , Im 7 years behind but he doesn't want me to take over the reins so it looks as if were selling after this Summer.

Where is the best place to sell our 2013 Autocruise Alto ? Dealership or Private.

The thought of not being able to just go where and when we want is going to hit hard but this year starting with me breaking my wrist and other health problems its costly to keep it just standing .

maggyd - 2018-08-26 4:12 PM

Well the time seems to have come to give up our camping/motorhoming way of life . :-( O.H is now 82 , Im 7 years behind but he doesn't want me to take over the reins so it looks as if were selling after this Summer.

Where is the best place to sell our 2013 Autocruise Alto ? Dealership or Private.

The thought of not being able to just go where and when we want is going to hit hard but this year starting with me breaking my wrist and other health problems its costly to keep it just standing .

Just sold my van, best price was pex but did not want to do that, best dealer price with no part ex was £2000 less than I got privately. Advertised on eBay and preloved, sold through preloved.

Maggs,

Its never the end of your camping travels just a change in direction to table top motoring where you can read and argue all the rights and wrongs the new drivers are likely to face. There are maps and pictures to take you anywhere and its easier to explore new discovery's with all the aids available, so simple and free. Plus you still have your own bed at night.

Selling a high ticket item like a MH is difficult for a private seller because you cannot offer finance, which many purchasers will require.  In theory you could expect the buyer to sort out a bank loan and it might even be possible for you to arrange a loan for the buyer but in practice it will be more trouble than you want to face.

Dealers will only offer to buy at a lower price than you will want to take, because they need a substantial profit margin to cover their costs.  You can overcome this by asking the dealer to sell on commission for you, i.e. you pay him an agreed fee or percentage for selling your motorhome for you but you don't get your money until the seller has paid the dealer.  A dealer is likely to be willing to sell on commission because he can hold your MH as stock without having to lay out the money.

There are risks involved but they should be manageable and selling this allows you to take a passive role - it's the dealer who has to find a customer and complete the sale.  The dealer may also have to offer a warranty and finance.  You may have to wait for your money but compared with trying to sell privately this method can be very appealing.

As per Stuarts comments high prices can be difficult with a private sale. I've always bought - new - used - sold - moved on and take any losses on board, much less stress involved (for me) which possibly is why I'm still here flirting with the remainder of my very full days ?

Will86 - 2018-08-26 6:44 PM

As per Stuarts comments high prices can be difficult with a private sale. I've always bought - new - used - sold - moved on and take any losses on board, much less stress involved (for me) which possibly is why I'm still here flirting with the remainder of my very full days ?

I have sold my last three vans within a week on one of the two web sites I mentioned. Easy for someone to raise their own finance these Days, Stuart and wills posts here may have been true ten years ago but not any more. What have you got to lose?

Archived