Globecar soft close not working

peterjl

Hi everybody.

Our soft close system on the sliding door stopped working this morning after three years.

The sliding door will still close if I slam it as I used to do with our previous pvc’s and the door locks ok sooooooo it’s still useable but very annoying.

I checked the fuse and that’s ok.

I cannot workout how the system works. I have found all the gubbins and come to the conclusion it must pull the door in magnetically cos I cannot find any mechanical interface with the door.

Does anyone know anything about the system. I have searched but the posts there seem to refer to a special catch but that’s not evident on my Moho.

Peter

Peter,

the system is essentially (electro-)mechanical.

The fixed body-mounted catch for the door is replaced with a custom one which moves in and out; it is proud when the door is opened, and pulled back towards the body when the door engages with it on closure. I've always assumed that the operation was controlled by the same contacts that ensure central locking works, as the only externally evidence of its fitting is the modified rear catch.

The workings for the unit are hidden away in the kitchen unit, and accessible (just about) by removing the drawers.

As you 'van is still lockable, I can only assume that the catch has stalled in the closed position (otherwise the c/l would be inhibited). Globecar provided a replacement standard fixed catch (the same as that for the rear doors) for substitution in emergency where the locking was inhibited.

Problems with the unit are not unknown (Mine was OK for the period of ownership). This is an example:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/globecar-softlock-essential-maintenance.230417/

Thank you. Now I understand how it works.

I found the moving catch, which had stalled closed as you suggested, I just pushed it gently and it moved out. I closed the door and it worked.

So,it’s working but I need to lubricate. The question is what is the best lubricant. Would wd40 be ok?

Peter

...WD40 isn't really a lubricant, more of a degreaser.

If you're going to lubricate the catch shaft, then I'd ues a light, general purpose lubricating oil (bike oil or similar).

If you're going to go further and lubricate the internal operating mechanism, then I think I'd follow the advice in the Motorhomefun link.

Thankyou, but I think things have deteriorated.

The lock is now stuck out sooooo the door is not closing properly and the doors will not lock! Grrrrrrrrr!

I have found the replacement catch and just have to find someone to fit it. That will get the door useable.

Peter

..it's a strong possibility that the internal mechanism needs greasing (but not a certainty).

Unfortunate that it is now stuck out, but better for it to happen at home (I assume you are), than when out on the road.

The emergency catch should (I believe) be an easy fix.

Hi

Unfortunately we are away, 2nd day of our trip and currently in Cumbria, 200+ miles from home.

I have looked at how to remove the soft close latch. Not sure it’s entirely straightforward.

I am thinking a Fiat Garage may be my best bet.

Peter

The original fitting s/be a direct replacement for the softclose catch, using the same mounting point, but, never having removed mine, I'm not sure how easy it is to remove the softclose catch (as it must be attached somehow at the rear).

Anyway, good result. (I knew about the "spare" through reading German forums, but wasn't supplied with it at purchase, and had to ask - luckily I never needed it).

It was surprisingly easy to remove all the gubbins. I had to do myself as all local garages had not time available.

The unit has its own fuse behind the drawer unit plus the electrical connections I clip.

The two small bolts the remove catch, two bolts to remove unit, accessible from outside through the window in the door when the door is open. Then two larger bolts used to hold the replacement part. 5 out of 6 bolts undid easily and the sixth took some effort because of thread lock.

For me, about 60 minutes work and I took it slowly plus had to scrounge some tools from other campers!

Peter

Good afternoon,

I got the extra catch but did not know until reading this. I find it is best to use the door regularly. Mine sometimes jams or fails to lock especially in winter with little use but soon frees up again. I worried that grease might affect the electrical contacts as well

The only issue I have had with the Globecar soft close mechanism has been the hex barrel bolts on the catch becoming /vibrated loose, allowing flex in the catch engagement plates that ultimately meant the door would fail to latch properly and I couldn't lock the van.

Some drops of loctite and a nip up of the hex bolts on the catch and all has been good since

See thread

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/check-your-autoclose-mechanism.162310/

Archived