Goodbye and thanks, water heaters and campsites.

Guest Martyn Ward

Guest Martyn Ward
Apologies for the diversity of this posting! The goodbye part refers to me and Liz having left the Caravan Club's MUC North Ledaig site at Oban after 5 years as "wardens". The thanks are for all the good folks we met whilst working on the site, not least of all DocTed and Mrs DocTed. Reasons for leaving? One or two but a few clues might be found in our soon to be published book inspired by our time there, entitled "Pulling weeds in the pouring rain!" We are now happily ensconced (?) at Wareham Forest Tourist Park in Dorset and can quite safely say that our new job is everything that we hoped working at North Ledaig would be but sadly never was. Under enthusiastic new ownership since early 2003 and set in a great location, this park is definitely going places! Regards water heaters, the Carver heater on my '99 model Swift has sprung a leak. Viewed from the outside with the square cover removed, the leak is from the relief valve at the top left corner where it enters the body of the heater. Does this valve screw in with an "O" ring seal or is it something altogether more sinister? Regards campsites, can anyone give me any info about "Freedom RV Park" near Cheltenham? We're off up that way soon and I've heard good things about the place but can't seem to find any info. Do they have a website? Thanks for indulging me and apologies again. Perhaps now I'm over 40 I'm at a funny age, *grin*. Hope to see some familiar faces at Wareham Forest this year.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Freedom RV Park? Not sure it still exists, or at least not under that name. I believe it was linked to Freedom Motorhomes who moved to Tewkesbury some while ago. Suggest you check with them - Tel: 0870 757 2355 (advert MMM Feb 2005 pg 136)

Martyn Is Wareham Forest Touring Park the one on the opposite side to the CC's caravan park, Hunter's Moon? Good luck in your new venture. Might visit around Easter (not Bank Holiday) if you let me in! Regards Neal

Thanks for the kind words Neal. Wareham Forest T.P. is not the site directly opposite Hunter's Moon, that's Birchwood. We're on the same side but further along the road heading towards the A35 and Bere Regis. Level gravel hardstanding pitches, great location, happy enthusiastic staff, what more can you ask for? Look forward to seeing you. Martyn.

Martyn Congratulations you have made one giant step for yourselfs. When we last spoke I was aware how unhappy you were up there. I hope that you are now moving onto something better for the two of you. Who knows we may even intrude upon your new domicile this summer. Good luck now and in the future whatever you do. All the best Docted and Mrs Docted

Freedom Closed their Cheltenham site some time ago, due, I think, to planning problems. They now have a sales centre at Tewkesbury but I'm not aware of a site there. Pity really, Cheltenham was a good site, esp. for large RV's. Stuart

Hi Martyn, We stayed at Briarfields Park Gloucester Rd Cheltenham GL51 0SX last October with the American RV club who had a rally there it is a good site.It is just off the M5 motorway their phone no is 01242235524. Handy for both Cheltenham and Gloucester.Pub and shop about 10mins away walking. Hope this helps Regards Pat

Archived