Grass Pitch Advice

BS20

We are new to motor homing and have left it a bit late for finding a hard standing pitch for Easter.

We have managed to reserve a grass pitch in Devon on a camp site and I am now a bit concerned about getting stuck if we have a downpour.

We have a 3400kg Autocruise Starfire and I am taking a tow rope, spade and some plastic grip mats just in case, but I was wondering what precautions others people take.

Do you reverse on and drive off or drive on and reverse off ?

Do you park up on pieces of wood to stop you sinking down in the mud ?

Any advice appreciated .

Been stuck on wet grass a few times but found that most/all campsites have some form of chunky mower or tractor to pull you off. If it's raining or likely to do so I always ask at reception what their plans are to move me if stuck.

Had one worrisome one last year in France, got stuck and asked at recep for some help, chappie turned up with a forklift which had me worried for a few moments till a rope appeared and he dragged me out in the time honoured manner but was a bit concerned at first to think he was going to lfit it out.

I certainly park with my drive wheels nearest the firm ground and do also use mud mats to get me moving. As you say over a period of days your van may ‘settle’ so to my mind if I can overcome the inertia by using mats to get started I do so and don’t stop until I have the drive wheels on tarmac or gravel etc.

If I need to use ramps to level, then I position them so that I come off them in the direction of safety, even if that means reversing onto them which is not recommended by the manufacturers. The ramps also perform the useful secondary function of absorbing the ‘settling’ and allow easier escape of the wheels resting on them.

Davy

Before you drive onto the pitch, walk onto it, and test the ground with your heels. If you sink, talk to the site owner/warden and see if they have an alternative that is firmer. Most are not happy to have their pitches cut up, so should reciprocate constructively. Maybe you could park on an unused bit of site road on a temporary basis?

If in any doubt, park with the driving wheels on the grip mats, and nearest to the road.

If the ground is wet when you come to leave (even on the grip mats), use the highest gear feasible (usually second) in common with the lowest engine speed possible (just above stall speed) and use the clutch slowly and very gently - if you can, leave the engine idling and avoid using the accelerator. It is the same technique as coaxing a vehicle into motion on ice. If you sense that the wheel are beginning to spin, immediately dip the clutch and take a look at the drive wheels. Once the treads are filled with mud the tyres are, effectively, slicks and will gain little traction. Softly, softly, catchee monkey! :-D

Check the weather reports for the few days before you go. You are more likely to get stuck when the rain has had a few days to soak into the ground. Make sure you have a tow hook and it is securely affixed to the van - mine wasn't. Site owners/wardens will give you advice on the state of the ground if you ask when you arrive. other 'vanners are usually willing to help.

Getting stuck on grass is, in my experience, a rare event on a site. Our last three experiences have all been at rural events. Follow the advice already given and if you do get stuck, you will get out one way or another.

Enjoy your time away.

Make sure you know where the tow eye is and where it goes. If you haven't ever fitted the eye its worth doing before you need to that way you know it will fit and that the screw threads are good. I find the best gear to get me out of trouble is reverse.

A second vote for trying out the towing eye, it should be in with the jack. It fits under a plastic cover that needs a flat screwdriver to remove.

I couldn't find it when stuck in the mud at Goodwood a couple of years ago, and they tied the towrope to the front suspension, not good!

I carry 4 cut down breadcrates and ALWAYS park on these when on grass. I carry them underneath the van, they weigh very little and are easy to remove when needed. They have stopped me getting stuck in mud many times. Can also use them as 'stepping stones' for the front drive wheels to get back onto the site road.

We use some cheap rubber floor mats the type you used to be able to get from poundland.

Put them under your front wheels and they stop you sinking into the ground, when finished with give them a clean and put them back down in the cab as intended.

Pete

jumpstart - 2019-04-16 8:15 AM

Any particular grip mat to recommend.? I’ve used 4 short planks of wood to sit the van on but they are heavyish and difficult to stow.

I've got 4 plastic "Ground guard tiles" (the things that you lay into lawns etc so that it can be driven on). They've lasted 7-8 ish years..(and were only 3-4 quid each back when I bought them).

Mine came from Toolstation but I know that they had changed the type that they stocked a while back, so can't vouch for the ones they sell now...but they are easily available from loads of places..

These "look" like the ones we have(and the name sounds familiar).

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/ACO-Groundguard-Tile-585mm-x-385mm/p/758582

I bought a pair of Milenco Heavy Duty Latice Mats at the 2018 Peterborough Show as the field was a bit soggy. I put them under the wheels just before the heavens opened, left the van on them for a couple of days and where lots of vans around me needed towing off we had no problem getting moving. The mats were a bit misshapen and clogged with mud but once rinsed off fit for further use. A good buy.

Archived