Grey waste tank

Pete-B

Hi, My grey waste tank has started to smell a bit, some people recommend tipping a litre of orange juice down the sinks to cure the problem. Should I use orange juice, sparkling orange or could there be some other method of curing the problem before it gets worse.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

"Coke" has also been recommended in a previous post. Even a large bottle of the budget variety is quite inexpensive. So you could try either coke, or sparkling orange juice.

If you wish to go upmarket, may wish to note that Elsan market a product called "Grey Water Tank Fresh". Elsan claim that this product eliminates odours and disolves grease.

i use Jeyes Fluid. Put it down the kitchen sink, let it churn about, and then empty out. Good old fashioned way! it gets sludge out also i would not use coke, as I have seen what it does to concrete over time, on the bottling line!

PJay

We have had our van for three years now and do not have any smells from the waste tank. We are very careful about what we put down there in the first place and wipe excess food off the plates etc before washing. I always make sure the tank is empty and the pipes flushed through the kitchen sink after every trip then I leave the dump valve open to let fresh air circulate. I then put some tank fresh in before the next trip.

Using a ‘soft drink’ to address a motorhome waste-water tank odour problem is sometimes advised, but the idea has always struck me as startlingly optimistic.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=3&searchforumid=16&keywords=coca-cola&author=&days=&Submit=Search

You really need something much more aggressive and the traditional method is to use domestic bleach.

(I can see Jeyes Fluid being effective, but it’s expensive, unpleasant stuff and pretty stinky too.)

Dissolve a dishwasher tablet in hot water and wash it down the sink with a gallon of hot water. Then after an hour driving open the drain and be amazed at the disgusting gunge that comes out, it's horrendous when you've been parked up for a month. And we try not to let any food down the plug hole, wiping plates first.

(I can see Jeyes Fluid being effective, but it’s expensive, unpleasant stuff and pretty stinky too.)

Actually Derek, I quiet like the smell !! I also like the smell of wet tar! which IMO is similar.

You can always put some cheap disinfectant (Pine) down the sink after, which I do sometimes when cleaning the toilet

PJay

I think I’ll stick to bleach.

I can’t say I like the smell of that either, but it doesn’t ‘linger’ like Jeyes Fluid and, once plenty of water has ben poured down the plug-holes after the bleach-treatment has been employed, the smell is no longer evident.

Nor do I like the smell of disinfectant (pine or otherwise) and, although I’m unconcerned about the smell of wet tar, I sure don’t want that odour in my motorhome.

(What perfume does your husband buy you for your birthday? ;-) )

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-26 6:11 PM

(What perfume does your husband buy you for your birthday? ;-) )

Nice one!

He doesn't buy me perfume. been married tooo long for that now. He knows me well, i love flowers and plants. (As can't have chocolates!!)

The whole family know I have peculiar tastes, so plants/flowers /books, are my preference

P

We use some Miltons sterilising fluid diluted with water. It is not as strong as toilet bleach so does not damage any plastic fittings. It is used for sterilising baby bottles so perfectly safe.

Also If you have a stainless steel sink with the grain type finish leave the plug in and pour some in 10mm of water (with the plug in). Leave it over night and all your tea stains have gone in the morning and it will carry on working in your waste tank.

Milton Fluid contains 2% sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and 16.5% sodium chloride.

Undiluted it will damage fabrics and ‘eat’ stainless steel. It will remove stains from sinks and crockery, but so will suitably-diluted ordinary domestic bleach. A spoonful of Milton Fluid used to be commonly recommended for maintaining the sterility of the water in a motorhome’s fresh-water tank, but Truma advises against this practice.

Using Milton Fluid regularly to keep a grey-water tank odour-free should work, but a tank that has become really smelly will need something a lot stronger to dissolve the muck that has built up in the tank and pipework. Domestic bleach should not damage plastic pipework (after all that’s what domestic sink-traps and waste-pipes are made of) but it would be sensible after treating a grey-waste tank with bleach to rinse everything through well.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes - the Elsan product does work but it doesn't have a particularly nice odour! Coke is good for drain cleaning. Actually use a supermarket's own brand. Our neighbour used to be a cleaner and uses it as drain cleaner. Beware as it does contain acid.

I wouldn't recommend using Milton for anything except baby's bottles! Some people use it in their freshwater tanks but I found it made the water taste disgusting (bleach) for a long time afterwards - so only the once! That was BEFORE I learnt that it damaged stainless steel fittings in the system! (As has been said) It is cheap and nasty stuff, not helped by the fact that most moho tanks are made of a polythene-based material which is good at absorbing tastes / odours! :-(

For the toilet cassette I use a bio/eco prouct intended to keep cess tanks sweet, and find that it works very well and is inexpensive, and if the grey water tank becomes a bit wiffy I put a bit down all the drains, and wash it down with a splash of water. We buy it in the local supermarket and it's quite cheap, and there is normally a choice. I've tried a number over the years, and they all seem to work.

AGD

Archived