Grow Up Please

Guest Tony S

Guest Tony S
Britain is effectively governed by the mass media. Proof of this is that Blair had to 'toady up ' to Murdoch and get the approval of the Sun to win in '97. Honestly, the 'street of shame', with its attacks on anything 'foreign' does more to lower Britain's image than anything its politicians are capable of doing. Using phrases like 'Joe Frog' (to presumably denigrate the french) show that the tabloids are still as effective as ever in polluting peoples minds with their anti - europe propaganda. The tabloids have already decided for the British people that Britain will never fully integrate europe.

Guest Paul W
Yes but also a large percentage of the population that do not read, or watch for that matter, Murdoch also want to keep Imperial mesurement and would given the opertunity take Britain out of the EU. When this country voted to go in to Europe it was to join a large marketing area, not to become part of 'The United States of Europe'. The fact remains that we are still a net contributer to the EU (i.e. we pay more than we recieve) yet still they want to take away our rebate and impose legislation on us wheather we like it or not, that is why the current situation is so important it is more than just having free travel and the same money. I beleive that one of the biggest problems we have in this country at the moment is our lack of pride caused by the gradualloss of our individual identity.

Guest Tony S
Europe was at war only 60 years ago. The original idea of the founding fathers of the EEC was to promote trade and commerce and to form treaties between european countries to such an extent that resorting to war as a means of settling a difference would become impossible. Spain Portugal and Ireland have largely benifited from becoming members and a return to fascism is now unthinkable in the first two. If keeping imperial measures and chemically flavoured chocolate is more important to you than a war free, prosperous enlarged europe, then it just goes to prove that my original assertion pertaining to 'little englanders' was well on target.

Those old enough to remember President DeGaulle [sp]may also remember he said The Common Market now the EU wasn't the right place for Britain. Having family in the transport industry who have to pay large road fund license fees then see overloaded trucks coming in to this country and paying nothing towards the cost of our roads - irks. Last week on the Bank Holiday Sunday we were travelling on the west side of the M62 and called in at the Services. The lorry park was full of trucks with foreign registrations. Does anybody realise how British truck drivers are treat abroad? Have you seen the newly built [and the older ones] unused call centres which in turn we are all paying for via our taxes? We are paying too much into the EU and getting nothing back - how can we become prosperous? I step of my soapbox saying it is time we looked after our island and put the 'Great' back in Britain. Our parents and grandparents gave their time and lives to protect our freedoms in World War 1 and 2. Joy

Guest Tony S
When British motorhomers travel in France they benifit froim the 4000 odd totally free 'aires de service' don't they? Europe is all about freedom. European laws, especially concerning the environment, make a lot of sense. Britain once was 'Great' (in as much that it had a great world influence) so was France and Spain and even Portugal. Now, it"s the USA that rules and China and India next in line as potential world powers. Britain alone is a tiny confetti sized nation on the world map. Europe united can hope to counteract the great powers - individually, no european nation carries any weight whatsoever. The British press have a lot to answer for in maintaining the false idea that Britain can go it alone. The extreme right and the extreme left in France have just persuaded the French that they should put a brake on a much needed political europe and the result is already highly disturbing.

I do not know how many totally free 'aires de service' British motorhomers benefit from in France as I haven't been there. Infact I do not, nor does any of my immediate family have passports! Personally I haven't visited all the places in Britain yet. No doubt the EU will eventually impose some tax on the British for using facilities in Europe, whether they do or not. One thing I have learnt in my life is 'you don't get something for nothing'!

Archived