HANDBRAKE

Guest STEVE

Guest pete walker
hi steve, mine is often left for a couple of weeks in the winter, and as we have to park on the road (which slopes) we have little choise, but never had a problem.(vw clubman) pete

Hi Steve Our van (Peugeot Boxer) is parked on the drive beneath a carport and I never used to bother too much about the handbrake until recently. We use the van every four weeks or so even through winter and I like to move it's position after about two weeks so that it is not standing on the same area of tyre too long. However, last month, for the first time ever, when I went to move it the offside rear brake had seized and despite much revving, setting off and bouncing about I could not free it up. In the end it was a breakdown call and the fitter had to tap the drum (using a long chisel and hammer through the wheel vent holes) whilst I gently moved it forward. After a couple of tries it freed up but I now leave the handbrake off and chock the wheels.

Guest Mike Chapman
Hello David, Not sure if you tried it or whether it would have cleared your problem but it is sometimes possible to clear a seized rear drum brake by reversing and jabbing the brake pedal. Something to do with the leading shoe set up. This always seemed to work on VW vans. Regards, Mike Chapman.

We've recently had a similar problem with our motorhome's brakes starting to seize even though it had only been moved a week earlier, although there had been quite a bit of rain in between. In the past we've had this problem and ended up having to get our van pulled out (it tucks in front end first in to a 'U' shaped area of fencing), also we had to do this on another 'van when the battery went flat as it was not possible to get at the bonnet and it didn't charge from the hook-up so we couldn't even give it a few hours blast to recharge it!

Guest David Powell
I live next door to a mechanic, well actually he is an engineer, and he advised me to leave the hand brake off and chock the wheels, PLUS have piece of wood cut to size from the seat to the clutch pedal to keep the plates apart as if they stick together that is a bigger problem than the hand brake shoes sticking on.

Archived