Habitation Door mechanism repair

colin weston

Back again. Noticed recently that it was difficult to get the habitation door to close properly. Found that the upper latch was not locking in the closed position. With great difficulty I managed to remove the interior door trim sufficient to see that a spring was missing from the upper part of the mechanism. (I have attached a photo of the lower mechanism which is similar). Does anyone know who might have supplied or manufactured these door mechanisms for Autocruise? My van is a 2007 Starburst. The tension spring is 6mm long over the coils in it's retracted state, i.e. close coiled. The mean dia is approx. 8.5mm and the wire dia 0.75mm.

_MG_5527.JPG.1d5c49b533d746f76df4256534454b8f.JPG

The spring on my Stardream's top lock failed about six weeks ago, what a job to get the covers off using a hairdryer that is good sticky tape they used. I bought a box of assorted springs from E-bay (http://tinyurl.com/muduruz )and put two on in place of the single one. Two weeks after I fixed the lock the bottom spring snapped so I had to repeat the exercise , no problems since.

I guess that the stress would be highest at the bend. However, it would seem that the springs are either poorly specified or manufactured if they fail after a few years of relatively low usage. I think I have found a near equivalent at Lee Springs on the web. I looked at the big boxes at give away prices and decided the quality must be very poor. I would rather pay a few quid extra for the replacement springs than have to keep stripping the door down!

Archived