Habitation check and Covid 19

keen canary

Good morning to all,

My wife has just raised the point that the 2nd Habitation check is due on our Eldiss Autoquest 115 in July. We have just had the first service of the Peugeot side of things completed with a pick up and drop off of the van proving to be useful.

I should point out at this stage that my wife and I are acting on the cautious side of things with this virus seeing as we are in our 70's with some past issues.

After the Peugeot service I cleaned the cab interior which is not a huge task but for the habitation check I would imagine some one will be over much of the van interior and although the dealership will claim they have taken all precautions, we would not take them at their word. We would clean the obvious surfaces ect but unsure how long the virus can last on different surfaces.

Just wondering if anyone out there has had this check done since the virus has been around and how they dealt with the vehicle afterwards.

I might seem over cautious to some but I read some members posts and see lots of comments about wanting to get moving around again but not so many comments on the staying safe side of things This thing is really nasty. Sorry Just my view.

Thankyou

Keencanary

keen canary - 2020-06-07 10:12 AM

Just wondering if anyone out there has had this check done since the virus has been around and how they dealt with the vehicle afterwards.

If I had a habitation check done, or any other situation where other people had been " all over the van " - I would simply wipe the handles and steering wheel before I drove it home - and then park it and go no where near it for a week.

I assume that would be adequate time for the virus to die off ( if there is any on the vans surfaces ).

If still unsure I would then give all the inside surfaces a good clean - but that might be a bit over the top.

:-|

My son found a report which he forwarded me, from the New England Journal of Medicine, so should be reliable. Admittedly, this was way back in March, and it more could be more is known now. It said the virus would die after 3 days on plastic 3-2 days on stainless steel, 24 hours on cardboard, 4 hours on copper and 3 hours in air. So leaving your van for a few days should do the trick.

Archived