You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
Has any one gone to Greece
AuthorMessage
userfreddie
Posted: 31 August 2018 10:59 AM
Subject: Has any one gone to Greece

Just joined

Hi
Has any one done a trip to Greece
I am thinking of going next year
I am looking for the best way there
I will possible be going to Corfu as well
All help will be appreciated
Many Thanks
userBrock
Posted: 31 August 2018 11:32 AM
Subject: RE: Has any one gone to Greece

Freddie, there is a lady [Woody] on the Motorhomeowners forum that seems to go to Greece every year. She's certainly knowledgeable so it would be worth popping over to that forum [I think it's free] and asking her to add to the knowledge you glean from this site.
userspirou
Posted: 31 August 2018 11:40 AM

Gets involved

Don't expect to be the only MH parked on any beach in the summer. There's hundreds of people doing exactly the same from late May to September. I prefer Greek mountains so I went skiing there in winter when everything, including beach front parking, is absolutely free of people anywhere you go :) And the mountains and snow were perfect for some solitary ski touring.

Possibly useful info, motorways have tolls that sometimes only accept cash and are quite expensive. Thessaloniki to Athens is one such case.

It will take you quite a long time to drive down from UK though. One "shortcut" are ferries from northern Italy to Patras.
useryeti
Posted: 31 August 2018 3:24 PM

Treasured contributor

We went overland via the Ancona ferry to Patras. When we landed we toured the Peloponnese and did a lot of wildcamping especially at beach tavernas in exchange for buying a meal-never had a bad Greek meal.
Some of the ferries permit 'camp aboard' limited hook ups but not permitted to use gas.
userSteve H
Posted: 1 September 2018 8:40 AM

Liking what I've found

In my opinion the easiest way to get to Greece is by driving to Venice and then catch the ferry to Igoumenitsa, Greece. Take a look at Minoan Ferries who I believe provide this service. They will also allow you to 'camp' in your motorhome during the sailing.
If you want to drive then it's Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia Herzegovina and Albania. If taking this route then use Google Maps for your route and don't wander off the recommended route as most roads in Albania are awful.
userBulletguy
Posted: 1 September 2018 6:34 PM

Legendary contributor

Steve H - 2018-09-01 8:40 AM

In my opinion the easiest way to get to Greece is by driving to Venice and then catch the ferry to Igoumenitsa, Greece. Take a look at Minoan Ferries who I believe provide this service. They will also allow you to 'camp' in your motorhome during the sailing.
If you want to drive then it's Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia Herzegovina and Albania. If taking this route then use Google Maps for your route and don't wander off the recommended route as most roads in Albania are awful.

Possible to avoid Albania by going thru' Romania and Bulgaria tho' longer. Much depends on the op's insurance as mine were not covering Albania this year which didn't concern me as i wasn't needing to go there but interestingly only a few years back i was covered for Albania by the same company. Agree about the roads......some have a tendency to 'disappear' into a track!
userspirou
Posted: 1 September 2018 9:07 PM

Gets involved

Both the Bosnia-Albania or Romania-Bulgaria routes are weird detours if you ask me. By far the fastest way to drive through from Slovenia is the motorway through Zagreb-Belgrade-Skopje-Thessaloniki so Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Greece. Although it does get very busy at the border crossings in the summer.
uservindiboy
Posted: 8 September 2018 11:49 AM

Epic contributor

Yes we went via Venice, Minoan line ship /ferry, camp in van during the trip use of ships facilities too, , ship calls in at Corfu so you can get off there if you want and then a forward ferry trip to Patras great cruise on the ship, semi open deck to watch the Dolphins, we wild camped on the Peloponnese for 2 months with no problems.
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator