Heading for Calais from Barfleur info req

kevandali

Hi All

Had a brill two weeks. 

Heading towards Calais tomorrow (Friday) was going to Honfleur but the weather is iffy on Friday, better Saturday. Want to push on a bit further for a nice place to spend Saturday when the weather is better. Aire would be good so we can chill before heading for Aunchon then Gravelines for late Saturday ready for ferry  10.00am Sunday. Any recommendations will be taken onboard, vetted by her that must be obeyed and the dog and then followed ??

Great aire at Neufchatel en Bray we regularly use. Adjacent campsite if they are full and another smaller aire in the next village along.If you have bikes there is a cycle trail and its surrounded by lovely countryside

Highly recommended. We were there 2 weeks ago and enjoyed a lovely meal in the local Italian

Another good one is at St Valery-s-somme, you can cycle or steam train around to Le Crotoy. If you are going to Auchan at Calias watch out for migrants. We were there last week. We came out of the store and a Dutchman came over to us and said check under your cycle cover. Unbelievable when I pulled the cover over there was a blackman completely hidden by the cover,I shouted at him to get off,he jumped off and ran away. The security guards just stood there looking on doing nothing.

Brian B.

Thanks for the replies, on way to Calais but been trying to change our ferry with no luck, phone lines down and message saying contact them via my Account and email, have emailed but not going to hold my breath. Ferry was booked for Sunday 10.00am

kevandali - 2020-08-14 10:33 AM

Thanks for the replies, on way to Calais but been trying to change our ferry with no luck, phone lines down and message saying contact them via my Account and email, have emailed but not going to hold my breath. Ferry was booked for Sunday 10.00am

If a 2 week quarrantine is not a problem for you ( ie you have no fixed commitments when you return), then I would not bother rushing to Calais because I don't think there will be much chance of crossing. All you will do is sit in a queue for hours/days on end, with loads of others.

Leave it for a day or two until the rush has subsided.

All crossings are now fully booked.

If you have to get back then I'm sorry- God help you!

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/france-coronavirus-quarantine-netherlands-channel-ferry-rail-flight-eurotunnel-a9669966.html

Mickt - 2020-08-14 10:39 AM

You should be able to change ferry time at the office on docks

...............along with lots of other people?????

Is this a case of false assurance without actually knowing what is likely to be happening at the port?

I would think that Simon Calder's information in "The Independent" as referenced in the above post is more reliable.

Archived