Headlight Clouding

laimeduck

My Benimar is in for MOT next week so I've been checking her over. After 16 or so years the headlights were very clouded and crazed.

I recently got some marine 3M Perfect-It Gelcoat Medium Cutting Compound to brighten up the van, which is very dull now.

Tried it on the headlight and ....Bingo!

The RHS of the headlight has been done, LHS untouched. What a difference - both sides done in less than10 minutes with hardly any effort.

I tried a small section of the front wing paint work as well - fantastic result in a couple of minutes. The next sunny day will start on the van and work on a panel at a time to get her glossy again.

If you have cloudy headlights this stuff is great.

(NB, I have no connection with 3M, and no squirrels were harmed in this excercise)

1106614126_Headlightclean.jpg.89e8f41f6dfb8501a1fc8cc6de572a66.jpg

590714746_headlightclean2.jpg.34f85dacbc733860aa747dec8abcec55.jpg

Using toothpaste to clean plastic headlamp fronts is widely suggested online

https://tinyurl.com/42wv6jfh

There are also quite a few products formulated specifically for restoring badly dulled headlamps. This 2019 Auto Express article tested several (and also mentioned using toothpaste).

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/108259/best-headlamp-restorers-2019

laimeduck - 2021-03-06 5:33 PM

I tried a small section of the front wing paint work as well - fantastic result in a couple of minutes. The next sunny day will start on the van and work on a panel at a time to get her glossy again.

it's only been 6 months since you said you were going to do that having found the 3M product ;-) .

I'd be rather more careful (I'm sure you are being) using that on the metal bits as it might be rather more "cutting" on those than is ideal.

It would be interesting, however, to get feedback on how it works on the gel-coat; as I said (was it really 6 months ago - doesn't time fly (not)), its 3M forerunner years ago gave me very acceptable results (with a bit of effort expended).

Robinhood - 2021-03-08 9:14 AM

laimeduck - 2021-03-06 5:33 PM

it's only been 6 months since you said you were going to do that having found the 3M product ;-) .

Absolutely correct Robin, but I'm afraid my 100 year old mother contracted Covid which somewhat changed our priorities.

I did this post simply to let forumites know it is very good and very easy on headlights. So if you've got it, use it.

(I have tried toothpaste in the past on a Honda CRV without much success.)

I'll let you know how I get on with the gel coat on the van. I bought the 3M product for the van, so it was in my garage ....so a lot cheaper than toothpaste,(and it won't smell of peppermint!). I got it online at about a 60% discount from a chap who had just sold his yacht.

laimeduck - 2021-03-08 9:47 AM

Absolutely correct Robin, but I'm afraid my 100 year old mother contracted Covid which somewhat changed our priorities.

...in Dover, ISTR. I hope everything turned out OK. (We have a 90year old relative who caught it, even after two vaccinations, that seems to now be fully recovered).

I always make sure that my headlight, glass or plastic, receive a regular coat of polish (more often than the rest of the vehicle), Turtle wax or Simonize. Not only does it keep the road dirt at bay, I think it protects against the clouding/misting damage as I have never had to carry out remedial work on the plastic lenses (so far).

Guest pelmetman

I dont polish my headlights ;-) .......

Coz being glass they dont cloud B-) .......

Progress eh? :D .......

Guest pelmetman

I'm afraid my 100 year old mother contracted Covid which somewhat changed our priorities.

Indeed.......Sorry to hear that.....been there.

pelmetman - 2021-03-08 5:56 PM

I'm afraid my 100 year old mother contracted Covid which somewhat changed our priorities.

Indeed.......Sorry to hear that.....been there.

Unbelievably she survived ... but is not out of the woods yet. It has affected her mentally.

Archived