Heavy carbon deposit on Throttle body

william4

We have a 2011 Auto Trail Tracker, 45000 miles from new, regularly serviced. The engine tic over began to surge. On calling out a local Van Doctor he diagnosed the problem to be carbon in the throttle body and sure enough on strip down the throttle body had heavy baked on carbon deposits which necessitated a replacement I asked what the cause of this could be and he said that it could be , using supermarket fuel, which I have been doing for approx. 3 years ,having always used Esso, the oil being used for service being of poor quality or the way I drive -always drive at about 55 on single carriage ways, 60/65 on duals and motorways. Not a cheap exercise to change ! I wondered if anybody had had a similar experience.

There has certainly been discussion on this forum about Ducato throttle body problems and you might want to browse through these threads.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=throttle+body&author=euroserv&days=&Submit=Search

Supermarket versus ‘premium’ fuel has been widely discussed/argued about (example here)

https://www.allstarcard.co.uk/news-insights/fuel-and-fleet/fleet-news/supermarket-fuel/

and (hopefully) you will know what oil was used when your Ducato was serviced.

(Your stated driving-style sounds perfectly normal to me.)

We have had a similar experience with a 2010 Fiat 120 with 48000 miles on the clock. About 3 years ago the amber engine management light started to come on from time to time. An auto electrician diagnosed an intermittent fault in the throttle valve and quoted £500+ to replace. I just hoped it would sort itself out and covid cut our mileage massively.

Come the lift of lockdown the problem returned and we have a new throttle valve and adapter wiring loom fitted . There was a substantial carbon deposit even though we rarely buy supermarket diesel and drive "energetically"!

I was told that EGR failure is rare and throttle valve problems far more common. Time will tell.

bobalobs - 2021-10-08 12:21 PM

I was told that EGR failure is rare and throttle valve problems far more common. Time will tell.

I was thinking more of what the EGR system dumps into the intake, than any specific fault with the EGRs.

A fundamental fact is the carbon buildup in the throttle has to come from somewhere.

Air itself carries none as long as the air filter is in place, but the exhaust potentially carries a great deal both from the fuel and lubricating oil.

Anyway, it was offered here as a thought.

Archived