Heki roof light

yoko8pups

Could anyone tell me which way to turn a big heki rooflight to open it? I have one with the two spotlights on it. The book just says wind to open and no hint about clockwise or anti clockwise.It seems to be a bit stuck and I am afraid to force it, but the weather today is positively warm and I would love to open it.

yoko8pups - 2016-05-05 1:12 PM

Could anyone tell me which way to turn a big heki rooflight to open it? ...

Are you certain that the large rooflight fitted to your 2005 Hymer C524 motorhome is a Seitz “HEKI” product?

It’s commonplace for motorhome large roof-windows to be referred to as ‘Heki’ rooflights irrespective of the company that makes them. My Rapido for example has rooflights made by various manufacturers and the large roof-window over the lounge area is actually made by Remis.

I vaguely recall that the large rooflights Hymer fitted to some models were unique and there is some on-line indications that Remis rooflights were also used.

What I getting at is that if your Hymer’s rooflight is not a Seitz product (and I’d expect there to be a manufacturer’s name on it somewhere), advice relating to Heki rooflights may not be relevant to your roof window.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-05-07 9:31 AM

yoko8pups - 2016-05-05 1:12 PM

Could anyone tell me which way to turn a big heki rooflight to open it? ...

Are you certain that the large rooflight fitted to your 2005 Hymer C524 motorhome is a Seitz “HEKI” product?

It’s commonplace for motorhome large roof-windows to be referred to as ‘Heki’ rooflights irrespective of the company that makes them. My Rapido for example has rooflights made by various manufacturers and the large roof-window over the lounge area is actually made by Remis.

I vaguely recall that the large rooflights Hymer fitted to some models were unique and there is some on-line indications that Remis rooflights were also used.

What I getting at is that if your Hymer’s rooflight is not a Seitz product (and I’d expect there to be a manufacturer’s name on it somewhere), advice relating to Heki rooflights may not be relevant to your roof window.

A bit like all vacuum cleaners used to be called "Hoover"

PJay

If it's a large Hymer skylight (which opens parallel to the roof) then you definitely need to wind it clockwise to open.

If you haven't used it for a while you'll probably find that the rubber seal has stuck to the plastic skylight, as suggested earlier. This happened to me and I used a blunt screwdriver to help separate the rubber seal from the skylight whilst at the same time gradually winding the handle clockwise until the seal is fully separated.

Hate to state the obvious but the short answer to this is have it ripped out and replaced with a conventional Heki with mechanism like this; http://oi66.tinypic.com/9amp1u.jpg

Two latches either side of the dome secure it when down as does the bar which also doubles to push it fully open (gas struts keep it up) or retain it as part open. Foolproof and idiot proof it's an "open and shut case" really!

Looking through Heki websites i see they even do an electronic one which operates by remote control. How bats is that? Fine and ok if in daily use but these things often spend months on end without being used. That's just inviting trouble imo.

It would be helpful to know what make, model, and year the van is, and if possible whose name is on the rooflight. At present there is some confusion as to what we are talking about.

The suggestion that the rubber perimeter seals have stuck to the inner acrylic sheet seems highly feasible. As suggested, turn the winder clockwise and you should be able to see some small upward movement of the rooflight. If so, gently add a small amount of tension to the mechanism, and then try easing the rubber seal away from the acrylic with your fingertips.

I'd suggest you don't use any kind of implement as the acrylic marks and scratches very easily. If the rooflight then moves upward a little, add a bit more gentle tension as above, and then use the fingertips again to push the rubber seal away from the acrylic, and so on until it is free.

But, don't replace it unless absolutely necessary! If it is the Hymer unit I believe they are non-standard sizes so a replacement Heki or other make is unlikely to fit.

The Hymer mechanism is quite sturdy, and provides the lift near to all four corners simultaneously. My impression is that you'd be more likely to mangle the winding handle than the lift mechanism if you overdo it.

Brian Kirby - 2016-05-09 8:52 PM

It would be helpful to know what make, model, and year the van is, and if possible whose name is on the rooflight. At present there is some confusion as to what we are talking about.

The suggestion that the rubber perimeter seals have stuck to the inner acrylic sheet seems highly feasible. As suggested, turn the winder clockwise and you should be able to see some small upward movement of the rooflight. If so, gently add a small amount of tension to the mechanism, and then try easing the rubber seal away from the acrylic with your fingertips.

I'd suggest you don't use any kind of implement as the acrylic marks and scratches very easily. If the rooflight then moves upward a little, add a bit more gentle tension as above, and then use the fingertips again to push the rubber seal away from the acrylic, and so on until it is free.

But, don't replace it unless absolutely necessary! If it is the Hymer unit I believe they are non-standard sizes so a replacement Heki or other make is unlikely to fit.

The Hymer mechanism is quite sturdy, and provides the lift near to all four corners simultaneously. My impression is that you'd be more likely to mangle the winding handle than the lift mechanism if you overdo it.

Very well described Brian. I'd just add that the winding mechanism can get a tad stiff over time. I removed the central pin of the winding mechanism (where it goes through the roof) and lubricated it with grease. After that it worked like new again.

Brian Kirby - 2016-05-09 8:52 PM

It would be helpful to know what make, model, and year the van is, and if possible whose name is on the rooflight. At present there is some confusion as to what we are talking about...

I refer you to the first sentence of my posting of 7 May 2016 9:31 AM above.

A throw-away comment, but the Remis rooflight on my Rapido 640 is opened by turning its handle anti-clockwise. There are OPEN and CLOSE directions/arrows on the underside of the handle indicating how to operate it.

Archived