Heki roof light

yoko8pups

Our Heki roof light has become so stiff that we dare not open it for fear of breaking it all together. My husband is all for undoing the screw and spraying WD40 into it. I seem to remember a post on here which advised against opening it if you don't know what you are doing, something about a spring being hard to right if you release it, but I can't find the post. Can anyone tell me what and what not to do? we have our repairer Tommy Tucker quite close in Loule and I favour asking him to do it. s it an easy DIY job or not, thanks in advance.

Are you sure the rooflight on your motorhome (whatever make, model and age it is) is a Dometic “Heki” product, as other manufacturers (eg. Remis) make them.

I’m uncertain about “undoing the screw” that your husband is keen to do, though it suggests that your rooflight’s raising/lowering operation may be carried out by a ‘winding handle' that is rotated.

It could help if you can identify exactly which rooflight you have as - even if it is a “Heki” - more than one has a rotatable operating handle.

However, if you don’t trust your husband and the rooflight’s raising/lowering mechanism is really really stiff to operate, probably best to call in Tommy Tucker.

Having looked through yoko8pups’s earlier postings I note that her motorhome is a 2005 Hymer C524 model, and that the sticking rooflight problem came up here in 2016 when the manufacturer of the roof light (Remis, Dometic/Seitz “Heki”, etc.) was also discussed.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Heki-roof-light/41673/

As far as I can make out (from on-line adverts) Hymer has fitted large ‘winding-handle operated’ rooflights made by Remis or Dometic/Seitz, plus rooflights carrying the “Hymer” brand-name.

Any large rooflight with a winding-handle for opening/closing it will be quite complex mechanically, with the main operating mechanism only accessible from outside the motorhome once the rooflight has been opened. That complexity should be apparent from these two YouTube videos relating to Remis rooflights.

Removing the rooflight’s winding-handle SHOULD be straightforward, but if the rooflight is really stuck closed, just taking off the handle and using a lubricant spray is unlikely to do any good.

Yoko8pups’s Hymer’s rooflight will need to be opened to access and lubricate the operating mechanism, but the winding-handle won’t tolerate brutal handling and, if it breaks, the rooflight won’t be openable. This problem ought to have been addressed 4 years ago and there is useful advice in the 2016 forum thread about minimising the load on the winding-handle and freeing the rubber seals if they are stuck.

Archived