Help! Can't decide where to go in mid-France

Vernon

Arriving Cherbourg first week September for three-four week tour. My mind is blank as to where to go in mid France. Such a huge country and so many places to see but where! Done Normandy and Brittany so moving south Le Mans, Tours even Poitiers. Please help, recommendations essential to keep me from going nowhere, need a purpose....thanks Andy

Andy,

Then you should have stayed at home, obviously your not much of an adventurer ! I presume you have no idea why you bought your travelling home.

Was it just to advertise to those living around you that you were now one of the 'big spenders'

Go 5 miles from any channel port, take the first left and you're in strange surrounding.

Make no mistake Andy there's a very large number of people who would welcome the chance to do just that.

Not much point in continuing.

Will

Hello Will, I suppose we don't go far, Spain, Italy Germany, Austria. Normally only having a fortnight from work doesn't give us much time to go away, unlike yourself who seems to be on the net all the time. I suppose you have more time on your hands than I do. Perhaps you should get out more, but living near Gateick I suppose a plane is more your style.

colin - 2019-08-18 4:13 PM

Dordogne, and Tarn gorge are good.

p.s. and as mentioned above Loire valley.

p.p.s. you could go across a bit to Mosel valley Germany I know(well the better bit is), but still quite close.

Four weeks is enough to have a good stab and just about any region you fancy in France if you get a wiggle on. Three not so much. My choices would be either head over east to Jura and then on to Geneva and Annecy in the Alps, maybe do some of the stretch from Lake Leman south towards Annecy along the Route des Grande Alps then head north west through France back home or if you want the best chance of half decent weather the Lot and the Dordogne.

You could just about get down to Provence in that time as well. Maybe start in the Verdon Gorges then head back west across country as far as the Dordogne before heading north but its a lot in three or four weeks.

Thanks for Recommendations, I'll have to sit at the table with the map,and chart the tour. I do like the Loire and perhaps head west from there. I'm thinking of a couple hundred miles a day before I become bored and need a glass or two. I'll let you know when I get back where I got to.

Hi, forget France and motor into Belgium Ardeche and Germany, this is a better location for a short trip and the locals are great and the countries really welcoming for motorhomes. If your going away whilst it's still warm, just take a couple of full gas bottles with and enjoy,

I can definitely recommend La Citadelle Loches in Touraine the town is a short walk from the site and is magnificent, it's centrally positioned to explore the nearby chateaux and local villages. I think that there is a website giving the information if you enter La Citadelles it should come up on google chrome.

Will86 - 2019-08-18 1:18 PMAndy,Then you should have stayed at home, obviously your not much of an adventurer ! I presume you have no idea why you bought your travelling home.Was it just to advertise to those living around you that you were now one of the 'big spenders'Go 5 miles from any channel port, take the first left and you're in strange surrounding.Make no mistake Andy there's a very large number of people who would welcome the chance to do just that.Not much point in continuing.Will
Wow Will that was a strong comment from left field , even for you - certainly a different view.I applaud your boldness. 
Our experience is that a great part of the pleasure of travelling is in fact the planning. It forces you to research the areas & items you will find of interest. For example without research you would not easily identify that Aix En Provence a pleasant shopping town morphs into a truly exciting foody location when the sun goes down. Have a great trip as in my experience France has some wonderful locations but I am not telling so do your own research. Cheers,

Many thanks G

Yes it was ... but its just that I found it puzzling when someone says they don't know where to go ... at every turn the surroundings are different. Perhaps its a lack of personal interests that prompted the original post or one where their daily employment is all found within a large organisation that requires no planning.

My life consisted of look for work or starve so every avenue had its possibilities and the same thing applies to travelling.

Billggski - 2019-08-19 1:16 PM I thought one of the points of this friendly forum was to ask other motorhomers about out of the way places they had been to that they found interesting..

Agreed and nice to read of others suggestions which was all I read the first post as asking

Billggski - 2019-08-19 12:16 PMI thought one of the points of this friendly forum was to ask other motorhomers about out of the way places they had been to that they found interesting.It is too easy to meander past fascinating places and idyllic sites just off the beaten track.
Bill I agree that we should assist forum members with suggestions of POI's on a generally nominated route or area of interest. My reading of the OP's request was for suggestions on planning his trip not assistance identifying out of the way places in his geographical area of interest. cheers,

Vernon’s original posting sought recommendations for a 3-4-week trip starting in Cherbourg in the first week of next month and concentrating on the ‘mid-France’ region. Although he does not say so, presumably this will be a round-trip and - at its end - he’ll be exiting France from Cherbourg.

Later in this thread Vernon says

"Thanks for Recommendations, I'll have to sit at the table with the map,and chart the tour. I do like the Loire and perhaps head west from there. I'm thinking of a couple hundred miles a day before I become bored and need a glass or two. I'll let you know when I get back where I got to.”

I assume this doesn’t mean that he plans to drive 200 miles every day (ie. the trip overall would be some 5000 miles long), but rather that he would limit his between-stops driving to a maximum of around 200 miles - but what’s his preference for how long he stays in one place. what are his interests and what is 'mid-France'?

If ‘mid-France' is considered to be an area roughly between two horizontal lines with Orleans at the top and and Bordeaux at the bottom, this would include 9 French regions all of which have their attractions. Vernon has mentioned Le Mans, Tours and Poitiers and it would be easy to include those cities in his trip. So perhaps an itinerary that goes from Cherbourg to Laval, Angers, La Rochelle, Bordeaux, back up to Cherbourg via Poitiers, Tours, west along the Loire to Saumur, then Le Mans, Caen, Cherbourg.

If chateaux are of interest, the Pays-de-la Loire has them in abundance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ch%C3%A2teaux_in_the_Pays-de-la-Loire

but if the sea calls then concentrate more on the west coast from Saint-Nazaire down to Arcachon.

There’s so much ’information' on-line nowadays that it’s easy to become swamped by data, but travelling in a motorhome (in France in September) means that there should be no need to advance-book campsites and an original itinerary can remain flexible.

Well, I live in "Mid-France". I used to live in "South-West France" but Derek has reclassified my location which I fear will have a devastating impact on house prices. It was bad enough being dragged from Poitou-Charente into Nouvelle-Aquitaine, but at least that has some romantic, historical connection unlike "Mid-France" which sounds like the French version of the black country. I'm sure that there won't be just a latitudinal classification of "Mid-France". There will probably be a longitudinal confinement to allow a "Western-France" and an "Eastern-France" to exist within Derek's newly formed region. Hopefully we can sneak into the Western part.

Geographical issues besides I cannot comprehend someone planning a trip to France without having a plan of where they would be going. Even to plan to not have a plan and just drift around is a plan. But to plan to arrive and not know where you want to go and yet want to go somewhere doesn't sound like a plan to me.

Surely the OP has some idea of what they expect r want to see in France? I hesitate to suggest anywhere because that different people have different tastes. We go to see sights of historical and natural significance and sample local cuisine whilst our best friends come back with lots of names in their address book of new friends, but can't tell us much about where they've been and what they have seen. We talk to waiters and shop keepers, they make life-long friends of them. We have photos they have phone numbers.

So really we need a bit more from the OP so that we can tailor our suggestions to suit.

Archived