Help Needed

yrebud76

Hello, we may be buying our first motorhome tomorrow which has no solar panels.

I have storage sorted out a few miles away as I have no space at home, but am confused what to do with the leisure battery.

I have heard not to let the battery drain and there is no electric hook up at the storage site.

Can I flip the battery isolation switch and leave the van for a few weeks with no problems? Or just leave it as it is?

Eventually I aim to get solar so I can charge the battery but for the next few months it won't have solar.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Hello ,Which make and year of Motorhome have you purchased ? you will more likely find that the leisure battery stays up ok but the starter battery is the one that goes flat due to very small , but constant, drain by ecu, radio, tracker etc. over 3-4 weeks (or less).

Some later vans have an engine starter battery isolator system fitted also when you fit / have fitted a solar panel make sure that it charges both batteries with a split charge regulator or fit a Vanbitz battery master to link the starter and leisure batteries and keep them both charged.

yrebud76 - 2020-08-21 7:47 PM

Hello, we may be buying our first motorhome tomorrow which has no solar panels.

I have storage sorted out a few miles away as I have no space at home, but am confused what to do with the leisure battery.

I have heard not to let the battery drain and there is no electric hook up at the storage site.

Can I flip the battery isolation switch and leave the van for a few weeks with no problems? Or just leave it as it is?

Eventually I aim to get solar so I can charge the battery but for the next few months it won't have solar.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

For a few years I used an AA dashboard solar panel, abut £35, that plugs into the OBD port. This kept the engine battery topped up, and I never had a problem with the leisure battery. Just plugged the panel in whenever we parked it up in storage after a trip away. Never had a problem, often leaving it 6 weeks over winter between runs. Others may disagree but I can only speak from experience.

When a motorhome is static it’s to be anticipated that its leisure-battery will not need to power anything electrical, but (at least with a modern vehicle) the starter-battery will normally maintain ‘dashboard’ electrical equipment and perhaps power an alarm system. So it’s to be expected that starter-battery ‘drain’ will be higher than that of the leisure-battery.

There were complaints that the starter-battery of some Ducato X250-based motorhomes had an unusually high discharge rate, but I don’t think the cause was ever identified. My Ducato X290’s starter-battery does not run an alarm system and - when the motorhome is not in use - discharges slowly at a rate that I would expect to happen.

Archived