Hiding spare keys.

flyboyprowler

In the worse case of lost keys, and a locked motorhome, and no access to the spare set, does anyone have a good idea for either hiding a key outside, or any other way to gain access. Especially in this security / alarm obsessed world, it could be difficult? This problem cropped up recently with our car, the key was dropped while on a walk, panic ensued, but luckily someone found the key, so we got it back. It could have been so much worse.

We always take a spare set of keys. The driver has one set, the passenger the other. If the driver is alone, s/he carries both sets but in different zipped up pockets and, where possible, different garments. Before we depart from home or from the van, one of us will call out, "Have you got your keys."

Your insurance may be invalidated if access is gained to your vehicle by a crook finding a duplicate set on the outside of the vehicle. It used to be common to fasten a set of keys to the chassis rail. Check your insurance policy.

In the event of complete disaster, your breakdown company will probably be able to gain access within a few minutes. Carry the breakdown number with you or in a place where it is visible from the outside of the van - they usually provide stickers.

A big risk was always the hab door closing with the internal handle in the locked position so I always carried a hab door key attached to the house key in my pocket when we were away from home and several times it was needed mainly due to the wind catching and slamming the door with us outside and all the keys inside and the cab doors locked.

In addition we always carried an ignition/door key each so that if one of us lost the key we still had one.

In addition there was a third ignition key hidden inside the van.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2018-11-10 4:51 PM

A big risk was always the hab door closing with the internal handle in the locked position so I always carried a hab door key attached to the house key in my pocket when we were away from home and several times it was needed mainly due to the wind catching and slamming the door with us outside and all the keys inside and the cab doors locked.

In addition we always carried an ignition/door key each so that if one of us lost the key we still had one.

In addition there was a third ignition key hidden inside the van.

Having a harem of old bangers ;-) ......

I now walk with a limp to the right with the weight of keys 8-) ........

Perhaps I should try the left side for a bit of balance? :D ........

flyboyprowler - 2018-11-10 3:51 PMIn the worse case of lost keys, and a locked motorhome, and no access to the spare set, does anyone have a good idea for either hiding a key outside, or any other way to gain access. Especially in this security / alarm obsessed world, it could be difficult? This problem cropped up recently with our car, the key was dropped while on a walk, panic ensued, but luckily someone found the key, so we got it back. It could have been so much worse.

I bought a small magnetic keysafe and then gaffer taped it to the chassis under the motorhome in a convenient but concealed spot. It contains a spare habitation door key, so at least we can get in.

I also have several hidden compartments inside where we keep money, passports and other items. These voids I found by removing panels etc. 
When we are out all keys are attached to my belt on a lanyard to minimise the chance of losing them. I have never had to use my hidden key .......yet!

fesspark - 2018-11-10 5:46 PM

Over many years I have always wire tied the spare Hab door key within the chassis, no one would ever find it as the twice we have locked ourselves out its taken me up to 15 to 20 minutes to find it and I know its there. fesspark,what a game,ha ha

Hope its not a steel one as it could be too corroded to work.

If you are a couple, one set each, and always take them with you when both are away from the van. If single, only then do you need to conceal a spare set. Best, if possible, to keep the spares on you, but not with the main set.

If buying anything new with remote locking, make sure you get a duplicate key as part of the order. Getting duplicates later is much more expensive.

Similar to other posts, my wife and I each have a set of ‘van keys. We always take our respective sets whenever we lock and leave the ‘van. Hiding keys externally could be problematic if you have an insurance claim and they suspect your ploy.

Cattwg :-D

Attach string or cord to your belt or one of the belt loops, on the other end attach a split ring, when departing the van for some time attach the van key to the split ring and put in your pocket. its no different to pocketing it as normal but its now restrained.

We met a couple on a campsite who had inadvertently lock themselves out - something to do with the central locking being triggered.

Luckily, the big skylight was open and they managed to get back in using my ladder :-D

I now hide just a door key externally (not ignition key).

We used to leave the spare set of ignition keys in the MH safe (fitted under the passenger seat) with the key to the safe with us but insurance companies seem to be so keen to find reasons to repudiate claims these days that nowadays we each carry a set of ignition keys (and safe keys) with us when we leave the MH.

Just a couple of weeks ago, on a Temporary Holiday site near York, we were taking the dogs around the farm fields so just shut the habitation door without taking the keys. As soon as it closed I knew that the internal locking lever had shot up locking the door. The cab doors were also locked. Fortuitously, I had opened the kitchen window at breakfast time to allow some ventilation and, although it is too small for either of us to climb through, I managed to find a spare key on the farm - an eight foot long fence post! Delicately balancing this through the open window to the other side of the van I was able to tap the lever down into the unlock position. Phew.

The same thing happened to me on a site about 12 years ago with a similar door lock on a different van and again we had an open window so did the same trick. After that I always took the keys with me even if just stepping out of the van but, over time, stopped the habit. I've now started it again.

Have thought about having some type of safe place on the chassis for this eventuality but there are some very valid points made above about the risks involved.

David

Robbo - 2018-11-11 10:36 AM

We met a couple on a campsite who had inadvertently lock themselves out - something to do with the central locking being triggered.

That happened to me a few years ago in Luxembourg just as i was about to leave. Had to call a auto locksmith out who charged me €50 but at least got me back on the road.

No idea why folk are reluctant to say where they keep their spare key as one white Eurobox is pretty much the same as any other.....apart from reg plates. :-S

I keep my spare set in a locked money box which goes in the van safe,, also locked. Not the most brilliant of ideas but worst case scenario of losing primary keys it's going to cost me around €50 to get in......cheaper than smashing a window,

When we had our Motorhome stolen from a car park, the first thing my insurance company asked was did I have both sets of keys? Unfortunately the van was found burnt out when the loss adjuster came to my house he asked me to produce both sets of keys. All be it a few years ago.

weldted - 2018-11-12 9:53 AM

When we had our Motorhome stolen from a car park, the first thing my insurance company asked was did I have both sets of keys? Unfortunately the van was found burnt out when the loss adjuster came to my house he asked me to produce both sets of keys. All be it a few years ago.

When purchasing 2nd hand, you dont always get 2 sets of keys, how do they proceed in that case ?

And.....no such rule is specified on my insurance terms and conditions.?

Archived