Hiring camper Las Vegas

Hawcara

We’re in the early stages of planning a camper hire trip going from Las Vegas in September.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this. Would like to see Monument Valley, Grand Canyon etc.Got about 3/4 weeks.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

We spent a year travelling the western states in 1999 in an RV we bought then sold before coming home. We travelled extensively in the area you are aiming for but one place we skipped (for the second time) was Las Vegas. Our tour was built around visiting as many National Parks as we could right up to the border with Canada. Grand Canyon and Monument Valley are definitely worth a visit. Bryce Canyon is awe inspiring for instance and beats the Grand Canyon in my opinion. Other highlights were Zion, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands and Mesa Verde. Lake Mead is also nice. I could probably provide more detail of our route and timings but we had a lot more time than you have and spent many days in each park hiking. The distances are considerable so I think you would need to limit what you attempt. I am envious.

I assume you're flying in and returning to your start point. Map your route so it allows you short cuts to save lost time. 3 to 4 weeks will limit you to map your route very carefully, the distances are LARGE ! The Grand Canyon south rim viewpoints can be cold with snow, its 6,000 ft high. 2,074 M.

Do a lot of research before you travel.

Did two fly-drive trips with Cruise America in 1995 and 1997.

The first was from and back to San Francisco in October. Basically 3000 miles in five weeks to see Mono Lake, Yosemite, Grand Canyon. Las Vegas, L A etc. It wan't long enough as at almost every turn there was something that we were never going to see again .So, we stopped and photographed and videoed like mad. We still watch the videos from time to time. Absolutely awe inspiring.

The second trip was from Phoenix in January. Snow in Flagstaff kept us near the Mexican border for a while but we had eight weeks to see and relax. Still only 3000 miles. Some great places which are not as well known. ie Quartzite with the rock festival and 25000 RVs. That was near a campsite allegedly 25 miles by 5 miles. Had time to talk to some interesting people. Still in contact with one couple.

Keep thinking of going back!!

Our trip was in an ex Cruise America RV which we bought for $24,000 on a buy back deal although we managed to sell it privately a year later for $18,500. We started in Phoenix Arizona and travelled anti clockwise up through the Rockies and back down the Pacific coast, zig zagging all over the place. We did 12,000 miles in 11 months compared to 3,000 miles in 5 weeks so lots more time at each location to hike and explore, all with our two year old daughter. The trouble is that no holiday since can compare and we would love to do similar again now that we are retired.

We've been a several times but never with a motorhome as found it very expensive compared to Motels. The only thing we booked ahead was the hire car rather than face all the insurance choices at the airport car hire desk. My wife insisted the first time we went to book the first night we had more problems finding that Motel in San Francisco than we would have had finding a room we drove past several Motels with vacancy signs lite We never had any problems finding a room ever.

May 2010 we hired a Cruise America RV in Las Vegas, went across via Hoover Dam and route66 to south rim of Grand Canyon, then up to Monument Valley, then across to north rim of Grand Canyon, then up to Zion national park and back down to Las Vegas, Three weeks in all, where possible staying in state/national parks sites or forestry service sites. GF liked Grand Canyon best and we stayed several days in the area, the main park site is quite difficult to get a pitch, we had one night there, then couple of nights just outside park on forestry site then one night at painted desert site at east end of park. I liked Monument Valley best (spent to much time as a kid watching westerns), we parked in the reservation hotel 'carpark' site overlooking the mittens, took a trip around with local Indian guide. Zion park was also good, had to stay at commercial site just outside park, when going to park most tourists stay one side of stream, cross a bridge to footpath on other side and not many people about. Vegas itself I think still holds the record for the most expensive site we've ever stayed on.

Taken out the rear window from our overnight spot.

Snowy.jpg.c9857183a95b040153c1f827bd3f71a1.jpg

Archived