Honda ex1000 Generator

trialsrider

Hi there. Just picked up a Honda ex1000 generator. I don't want to get into a discussion about generators on campsites as this isn't intended for campsites but for back up at bike events.

I've never had a generator but have had many honda dirt bikes. Typically honda it fired up first pull after not being started for some time. The engine sounds sweet but I have a few questions about this generator.

I'm surprised how high a rev it sits at under no load. I've listened to a few ex1000 generators on YouTube and they all sound as fast. Is this normal then ?

How does the frequency meter work.? I've read the owners manual and it seems to describe when you hit 60hz the frequency meter should vibrate. I presume the governor can find this sweet spot? Mine does not vibrate. The pilot lamp illuminates perfectly and it boils my 650w camping kettle with ease.

My generator also has a rotary dial knob (not shown in the manual) which has 50hz on one stop point of the knob and a half illuminated bulb symbol on the other. It seems to act as a governor. Is this the case? The manual suggests the governor is a screw accessible through the panel above this knob. I can see this screw and it looks like a throttle stop screw that you would set the drop of a carburettor slider with. This would surely act as a governor too.

So how do I achieve this 60hz that the manual describes it should run on? Or have I hit it already as it all seems to be working?

IMG_20210101_194012_5_copy_504x374.jpg.89c4fbbfb185ef78b5ba8f9ec2c10b4b.jpg

IMG_20210101_194039_3_copy_504x374.jpg.3025595ad588cd738e4cac07e81b534c.jpg

IMG_20210101_194105_7_copy_504x374.jpg.2420199e9e9d38154c6296fd2fcea685.jpg

See following link

https://www.djtelectricaltraining.co.uk/downloads/50Hz-Frequency.pdf

As the generator has a rotary dial knob with a 50Hz stop-pont, logically that’s the setting that should be chosen for UK/Europe usage.

Presumably the generator’s manual mentions 60Hz because it is aimed at the USA market

https://powerequipment.honda.com/support/owners-manuals/generators/ex

I had one of these many many years ago - it's a model which Honda replaced over 20 years ago but that one looks well preserved and should still give reliable service if you look after it too. Heavy and cumbersome compared with the newer models but still reasonably quiet to run. They probably don't deliver the perfect AC sine wave which is necessary for modern electronic appliances so don't be surprised if your TV or computer doesn't work from it.

I'm sure the 50Hz knob position is the correct one for use in UK. The later models have a switch to select an "economy" mode so that the generators doesn't maintain full revs when there is no electrical load applied but it will automatically rev up to meet an applied loading. As far as I can recall these olders models just operate at the governed revs to maintain the correct output in terms of voltage and hertz all the time. You can check the output voltage and hertz using a suitable multimeter but I don't think hitting exactly 240v and 50 Hz is critical for most loads.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-01-04 9:13 AM

See following link

https://www.djtelectricaltraining.co.uk/downloads/50Hz-Frequency.pdf

As the generator has a rotary dial knob with a 50Hz stop-pont, logically that’s the setting that should be chosen for UK/Europe usage.

Presumably the generator’s manual mentions 60Hz because it is aimed at the USA market

https://powerequipment.honda.com/support/owners-manuals/generators/ex

Thanks Derek. Very useful info. I will stick to 50hz.

StuartO - 2021-01-04 9:30 AM

I had one of these many many years ago - it's a model which Honda replaced over 20 years ago but that one looks well preserved and should still give reliable service if you look after it too. Heavy and cumbersome compared with the newer models but still reasonably quiet to run. They probably don't deliver the perfect AC sine wave which is necessary for modern electronic appliances so don't be surprised if your TV or computer doesn't work from it.

I'm sure the 50Hz knob position is the correct one for use in UK. The later models have a switch to select an "economy" mode so that the generators doesn't maintain full revs when there is no electrical load applied but it will automatically rev up to meet an applied loading. As far as I can recall these olders models just operate at the governed revs to maintain the correct output in terms of voltage and hertz all the time. You can check the output voltage and hertz using a suitable multimeter but I don't think hitting exactly 240v and 50 Hz is critical for most loads.

Thanks Stuart. I've now got the frequency meter to work and it shimmers from side to side as the manual describes. This was done at 60hz as I was following the instructions on the manual. However the frequency meter also has a 50hz section so I will use that now and get that to shimmer on 50hz. Interestingly the frequency meter seems to only shimmer under load.

It is a lovely little generator and will only be used as back up on rare occasions when not on hook up. It will only be used to power the low setting on my propex hs2000e blower heater (500w) or the isotemp water heater (750w). Obviously not simultaneously due to load considerations. I've tested it on the propex heater and it worked well. I've drained down the water in the van so can't test the water heater but as it is a 20 litre glorified kettle I can't see to many issues.

The difference in 50/60 cycles mainly matters on anything with a motor. Things such as heating elements don’t mind so much as they have no moving parts. I have come across quite a few American motorhomes that were designed to run at 110 volts 60 cycles. Where in this country many have used the building site yellow transformers and wonder why fans etc fail after a short time especially the older roof air con units

weldted - 2021-01-04 12:41 PM

The difference in 50/60 cycles mainly matters on anything with a motor. Things such as heating elements don’t mind so much as they have no moving parts. I have come across quite a few American motorhomes that were designed to run at 110 volts 60 cycles. Where in this country many have used the building site yellow transformers and wonder why fans etc fail after a short time especially the older roof air con units

Well hopefully I haven't ruined my propex fan motor when I was running it at 60hz.

trialsrider - 2021-01-04 1:18 PM

Well hopefully I haven't ruined my propex fan motor when I was running it at 60hz.

Before I connected anything that might be sensitive I'd Google Sine Wave & Modified & Pure Sine Wave its usually discussed when talking of what type of generator to buy

witzend - 2021-01-05 10:05 PM

Before I connected anything that might be sensitive I'd Google Sine Wave & Modified & Pure Sine Wave its usually discussed when talking of what type of generator to buy

I believe that all Honda EX series generators were pure sine wave, with the exception of the EX350, which was modified square sine wave.

This seems to confirm that, and is quite an interesting read:

https://petepowerblog.wordpress.com/get-the-right-machine/

Archived