Hot air

Guest tony

Despite the legislation in France (I live there)that says all gas appliances should be off when driving, I often keep the fridge on gas(when it's v.hot 30°c+)whilst driving, and, in winter, heat the motorhome on the move with the hot air from the Truma 6002 boiler. What do I risk, safety wise? In Germany, there is no law against doing this, right or wrong?

One possible problem with running gas appliances on the move is that vehicle movement may cause liguid gas into the vapour outlet pipe and through the regulator to your appliances. This will not do your fridge of anything else any good! Some gas bottles are better engineered to protect against this eventuality than others. Take care

Thanks Clive. In the Truma 6002 handbook it says that the boiler is designed to work 'on the move' and in Germany this is legal. As for the fridge - well, I did have to replace one in 2003 but I put that down to very high temperatures in Spain + 48°c.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Dometic's fridge leaflet says that operating a fridge with gas during travel is banned in France and Australia (and I think it may also be forbidden in Denmark). Truma's C-series heaters are certainly design-capable of being used in a moving vehicle, but I doubt very much if fridges are (even though I know from personal experience that ours could). Clive mentions the liguid-gas risk, but the main danger to safety must come from situations that could involve damage to (or sudden malfunctioning of) your 'van's gas system. Road accidents are obvious examples, but leaking gas at a petrol-station could turn out nasty! I've been led to believe that French legislation demands that gas-bottles in vehicles must be turned off before the vehicle is driven. Don't know if this is correct - perhaps you could say?

Yes Derek, french legislation demands that gas bottles should be turned off before the vehicle is driven, but I've lived in France for over 20 years and I've noticed that there are a lot of laws that nobody bothers respecting here. French legislation also says that vehicles should stop to let pedestrians cross if they are already engaged on a crossing (since 2000, before it was just a recommendation) but not many do. So,going by the replies, and the fact that there are countries whose legislaters don't seem to bother much if the bottles are on or off, I rather think that I'll continue to use the blown air heating whilst on the move and leave the fridge on gas when it's very hot whilst driving.

• 3 months later...
Guest Brian Kirby
Tony Bit late I'm afraid, but surely the biggest danger, accidents apart, is at filling stations. Either heaters or fridges draw in combustion air from outside the vehicle. The air then passes over a naked flame in either heater or fridge and is exhausted. At filling stations the air may be heavy with fuel vapour. Hang the law - seems to be common sense to me, I wonder if that's why the silly old French legislated. Bit like smoking while filling up. Still the effect should be interesting!! Kind regards Brian

Archived