How do I lower the stabilisers on my Rapido?

Paul in Brum

Hi folks

I'm in France having my first proper holiday in my 02 Rapido 962M.

Realised I've never lowered the stabilisers at the rear of the van. The instruction booklet I received with it (original) doesn't explain how to do it. I've tried various things but no idea what I'm doing to be honest.

Can anyone advise? Pic below.

Paul (in France)

..the pic hasn't arrived ;-), but, if they're similar to the ones fitted on the slightly later Rapido I owned, the principle is much as described here:

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/motorhome-corner-steadies-long-model-1307-p.asp

(the relevant text is):

The leg is held in a horizontal stowed position. To release, pull leg from locating notch and allow inner telescopic leg to extend by placing toe on release flange. Lock in place using tommy bar supplied. To release, apply pressure with toe on flange, then raise back to stowed position.

The steady simply pulls horizontally until it drops. You then let the inner extend by holding the retaining flange against the spring. Once it is touching the ground, you insert the "tommy bar" through one of the holes in the inner (ISTR the uppermost that is fully clear) and then lever the inner downwards until the leg is solid on the floor (the sprung flange should retain it). To release, you need to lever or stand on the flange until the inner retracts, then reverse the process to stow the leg.

(The tommy bar is a round metal rod maybe a foot or so long).

The pads on the stabilisers are quite small, and if the van rocks, they will become ineffective if the ground is soft. I have a couple of wood pads about 125mm square that I use beneath the pad.

Also,

our Rapido shower drain needs a slight level adjustment to make it drain, so I jack that side up first, then the other side.

Please remember to raise them before you drive off ;-)

Rgds

Archived