How do I stop cats peeing up my awning?

tringy

Hi all, has anyone got some good tips to stop cats peeing up the outside of my awning? On a site at a the moment where there’s a lot of stray cats and despite us having a dog they appear at night to pee up my awning.any advice on how to stop them please .Regards Tringy

Diluted white vinegar worked for us at home

We had a tom cat visit us at night and with the doors open last summer you could smell it as soon as it visited and sprayed.

What a stink, the Vinegar was a bit overbearing but after a while the cat never come back.

Hope this helps.

Pete

tringy - 2019-01-25 11:57 AM

Hi all, has anyone got some good tips to stop cats peeing up the outside of my awning? On a site at a the moment where there’s a lot of stray cats and despite us having a dog they appear at night to pee up my awning.any advice on how to stop them please .Regards Tringy

My advice would be simple, move site.

Mark Wilkes - 2019-01-26 1:53 AM

I have heard in the past that bottles of water placed lying down around the awning works but I don't know how true it is but its a cheap thing to try.

A how, pray tell, would that work? Why not try a cross at the door, circles painted on the floor or perhaps employ a Shaken to cast a spell?

michaelmorris - 2019-01-26 6:12 AM

I have heard in the past that bottles of water placed lying down around the awning works but I don't know how true it is but its a cheap thing to try.

A how, pray tell, would that work? Why not try a cross at the door, circles painted on the floor or perhaps employ a Shaken to cast a spell?

I use clear plastic bottles of water on the allotment to stop cats crapping in the seedbeds, I don't know if its the reflection, heat retention they sense but it seams to work.

It could even be the chilly paste on top of the posts that they jump on to get in >:-)

If you find an answer please tell the world ;-)

In an earlier life I tested many options to deter cats...none worked except a physical automated water spray.

To this day we have an on going irritation with cats in the garden

*-)

PS. The modern Police pepper sprays are fairly effective!

As a cat lover the simple answer is to have a word with the cat / cats , be reasonable and not aggressive, take into account not only your own feelings but the feelings of the cat/ cats , after all they are human too .

I hope this helps .

;-)

We used this method once in Spain to stop cars getting into the small stand alone awning - unfortunately, when we took it down the sun had been focused through the clear plastic and water and damaged the awning!

Sprinkle pepper around the base of the awning.

David

When we moved home three years ago we had quite a few cats that thought our garden was their toilet.

I bought a Nerf Super Soaker water gun and after spraying them a few times they decided that perhaps they should move to another garden.

The gun has a range of over 10 yards and a well aimed shot soon deters them and we haven't seen a cat in our garden for yonks.

If they only come at night then my suggestion probably wouldn't be any good but if you see them during the day a warning shot, or two, might deter them from night time calls.

B*gger the feelings of the cats - they don't give a fig about how much you paid for your awning or what it will cost to renew – and water doesn't hurt them but it makes you feel a lot better.

Adiebt - 2019-01-26 9:33 AM

As a cat lover the simple answer is to have a word with the cat / cats , be reasonable and not aggressive, take into account not only your own feelings but the feelings of the cat/ cats , after all they are human too .

I hope this helps .

;-)

If you're lucky enough to have a human cat you could teach it to read, and then put up signs telling it where it can pee.

;-)

We have a similar problem at home in the garden, pi$$ crap and puke everywhere. lemon juice really discourages them. 90p from tesco, cut into pieces and left where they mess or mark, also black pepper sprinkled around helps, another product is LION POO!!!! . not tried it yet but heard it works.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Bl##dy cats are a pain in our garden too!

These help but you have to move them as the cats get used to them and the batteries only last a couple of months.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pestbye-Battery-Operated-Repellent-HyperResonance/dp/B01BDEJWY6?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

These work well and it's really funny to see cats leap away when in action, but you need to relocate them as the cats soon learn to circumvent their arc, plus they need a live water hose 24/7!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Primrose-PestBye-Repeller-Activated-Deterrent/dp/B004YCUT4W?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_5

This sort of stuff works sometimes. There are many variants and it can be expensive trial and error to find one that works for you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitax-5SO600-Scent-Training-600G/dp/B000TAQWXU?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_12

Dilute Jeyes fluid works too but NOT on awnings I suggest - unless you love the smell!

Diesel fuel. It works wonders. Next time you fill up your van or car take a separate container or use a black diesel can.

Transfer some to a plastic bottle. Use a separate screw-top you have made holes in, sprinkle lightly where cats are. Never fails.

PS its also the best weed killer around patios and block paving I have ever used, its smelly for a while but it kills the weeds. All the commercial stuff is useless now its banned from sale !

Archived