How easy is it to DIY gas hose replacement?

michaelmorris

If it is the usual orange hose secured with worm drive (Jubilee) clips then very easy.

If the hose does not pull off the stubs after removing the clips then very carefully slit it down the side with a Stanley knife but be be VERY careful not to score the metal stub beneath.

You can check your joints for leaks afterwards with soapy water.

Keith.

Edit to add: I'm fairly sure your age of MH will have a regulator on the cylinder so will have a low pressure hose and not a high pressure pigtail.

Keithl - 2019-06-08 10:42 AM

If it is the usual orange hose secured with worm drive (Jubilee) clips then very easy.

If the hose does not pull off the stubs after removing the clips then very carefully slit it down the side with a Stanley knife but be be VERY careful not to score the metal stub beneath.

You can check your joints for leaks afterwards with soapy water.

Keith.

Edit to add: I'm fairly sure your age of MH will have a regulator on the cylinder so will have a low pressure hose and not a high pressure pigtail.

Thanks, yes the regulator is on the cylinder end of the hose,so it is low pressure hose I need.

Any hints for getting the metal stub to slide into the hose?

Also is gas leak detection fluid better than soapy water for detecting leaks?

Thanks

Soapy water is good to insert the stub if it is tight and yes, leak detector spray would be better if you have some to hand.

Keith.

Edit: Do you have the right size low pressure hose? From memory there are two internal diameters available!

michaelmorris - 2019-06-08 10:52 AM

...Thanks, yes the regulator is on the cylinder end of the hose,so it is low pressure hose I need...

There are two types of gas hose - a black hose intended only for low-pressure applications and an orange hose capable of handling a much higher pressure.

Historically the black hose tended to be used for motorhomes/caravans when it was common practice to swap butane and propane gas-bottles for (respectively) summer and winter camping. The black hose was cheaper and easier to push over the metal ‘stubs’ that you’ve mentioned, and it was recommended practice to replace it annually. However, nowadays, the norm is to use the longer-lasting orange reinforced hose not the (as a motorhome dealer described it to me) the crappy black stuff. (See comment here)

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=31&TopicID=267155

As far as I’m aware the internal diameter of the hose (orange or black) is standardised at 8mm. The orange hose certainly can be difficult to push over the stubs and, because it’s reinforced, I’m not sure how well it responds to the hot water treatment. if your present hose hasn’t been replaced for a while, I suggest you also replace the jubilee-clips with good quality stainless ones.

Any caravan/motorhome dealer should have gas hose in stock and (as witzend suggests) you might be better having the hose replaced for you and checked for leaks afterwards. As you'd have to source and buy a suitable length of hose if you DIY the task and (presumably) leak detector too, the cost of having the task carried out professionally may not be much greater.

In answer to the question "Does washing-up liquid damage your vehicle?”, Dr Bob Eden BSc MSc PhD MICorr (Member of the Institute of Corrosion) advised as follows:

Washing up liquid does contain a ‘salt’ but this is the active ingredient and should not be confused with road salt. There is nothing in a washing-up liquid that will exacerbate corrosion – there’s no sodium chloride salt to worry about. The issue regarding corrosion is the ‘chloride’ bit of the salt. In ‘chloride nests’ at the base of a corrosion pit, the chloride exists as hydrogen chloride, which in damp conditions creates a solution of dilute hydrochloric acid, and it’s this acid that does the damage. You need to avoid ‘chloride’ from any and all sources, e.g. seawater, road grit and fish & chips (but not washing up liquid). When I wash my aluminium bodied Lea Francis, a dash of Fairy is just fine…

Archived