How to fix a solar panel onto vehicle roof ?

barlik

Hello

Im looking to mount a solar panel on the motorhome roof, ive got 4 metal legs attatched to the panel and a tube of sikaflex 252 , do i use self tapping screws and skaflex to attach the legs to the motorhomes roof, or do i just use the sikaflex ? , any advise would be much appreciated

Thankyou

barlik - 2012-10-31 2:47 PM

Hello

Im looking to mount a solar panel on the motorhome roof, ive got 4 metal legs attatched to the panel and a tube of sikaflex 252 , do i use self tapping screws and skaflex to attach the legs to the motorhomes roof, or do i just use the sikaflex ? , any advise would be much appreciated

Thankyou

Hello and welcome;

I think it probably depends what motorhome you have?

A panelvan and a coachbuilt (Caravan type construction) would be different I think.

I think avoiding piercing the roof membraine would be top of my list,

cheers

alan b

Hello Alan its a coachbuilt motorhome

snowie - 2012-10-31 3:06 PM

barlik - 2012-10-31 2:47 PM

Hello

Thankyou

Hello and welcome;

I think it probably depends what motorhome you have?

A panelvan and a coachbuilt (Caravan type construction) would be different I think.

I think avoiding piercing the roof membraine would be top of my list,

cheers

alan b

What do you mean by "legs"? If they are brackets, with a good surface area, then you can use sikaflex. But do not put any screws through the roof of the van, as the adhesive will do the job. Make sure the roof points and bracket bases are spotlessly clean and degreased first though.

rupert123 - 2012-11-01 9:37 AM

Personally would never, ever, just use glue to fix anything to the roof. Screw and glue it, what is wrong with putting screws in the roof providing you do it properly, plenty of screws already in there another few will make no differance.

As a belt-&-braces kind of guy I've some sympathy with your advice, but I don't believe screws should be necessary as long as the 'feet' of barlik's solar panel have sufficient area and (most important) he understands what he's doing.

The need for cleanliness has been mentioned, but it's also imperative to ensure that there's an adequate thickness of adhesive between the base of each 'foot' and the surface of the roof. This is highlighted here:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-122730-solar-panels-fixing-to-roof.html

I'm inclined to agree with Rupert..

...The problem with just relying on "adhesives",is that no matter how good they are,they're still only going to be as the paint/coating/"glaze" on the panel that you're stickin' too......

..I'm not say that,given a decent surface and enough surface area to bond too,that the likes of sika' wouldn't do the job...it's just that the consequenses of finding out that it hasn't done the job,don't bear thinking about.... :-S

Our current roof,being flat,sturdy and "buckle free",would probally/possibly be okay with just using Sika'..however our previous van's roof(..a wobbly,aluminium construction which apperaed to be finished in household emulsion!?),would've been a real no no.....

If it was mine,rather than just fixing the panel brackets,I'd probably look a bonding and screwing on some form of aluminium rails...this would give some degree of flexiblity,if the panel required replacing or further panels were added...

Oops..Sorry Derek,crossed posts.. :$

I've fitted two solar panels to the deck of a sail boat with just sikaflex five years ago. They are still there despite people regularly walking on them and have on occassions been forced under a wave. Just follow the sika instructions and prepare the area carefully.

Peter.

Archived