How to keep the grill alight

ColinM50

We've got a Thetford oven/grill/hob in our motorhome and are having problems with keeping the grill alight.

The hob's fine, we have three gas rings and one elec and they all work OK and the oven is mainly OK though it has been slow to start once or twice, but once working it's fine. But the grill is another story. Just can't keep it alight. It will light easily but irrespective of how ling you hold the button in, after releasing the button it just goes out. Can keep it working by holding the button in but it won't self sustain.

Anybody have any suggestions or ideas please?

Sounds like the thermocouple is not working ..if you can get at it undo the nut on the tap end and clean it with a rag and make sure the other end is in the flame ...if that fails you need a new thermocouple.There are 2 types one is a electrical connector and the other is the copper tube type.Leisure Shop Direct have both .

BKen1 - 2019-05-31 10:09 PM

Sounds like the thermocouple is not working ..if you can get at it undo the nut on the tap end and clean it with a rag and make sure the other end is in the flame ...if that fails you need a new thermocouple.There are 2 types one is a electrical connector and the other is the copper tube type.Leisure Shop Direct have both .

It may be worth noting that the copper tube (3mm) type is also an electrical connection (concentric), even though it is fixed with a nut. So checking that the nut on this type is secure may be worthwhile.

Alan

Does your grill door have an intermediate, partly closed position?

On ours you light the grill with the knob pushed in, and then partly close the door, still keeping the knob pushed in for about 45 secs.

It then stays alight and you can open the door wide again to insert your food, then partially close it to grill the food. Stays lit until you turn it off.

I had some trouble with my grill at the beginning of my van ownership. It’s a Dometic. The spreader plate that sits above the burner was contacting the pilot tube (if that makes sense). The solution recommended by my dealer was to insert a thick 1 inch jubilee type clip between the casing of the oven and the top side of the flame spreader plate. It works. It’s still there and I’ve not had any problems since. It appears that the spreader plate was moving as it heated up. I would post a picture but not sure if I can since I’m having breakfast on a campsite near Arras and preparing for 30c today :-D :-D

Archived