How to spend a grand? And where?

Cidered

So the question is...what to spend it on? I want to increase my ability to spend more than two days off grid. My van already has two 90ah gel batteries and I don’t want to change them. My electrical needs are fairly simple: compressor fridge, led lights, phone and iPad charging, water pump, oh, but it’s not a deal breaker, charging electric bikes if possible. No tv, satellite or any of that caper. Am I best adding solar or a battery to battery charger? Is it worth adding a sine wave converter?

I’ve read lots of info, particularly from alan at aanda, and I realise that it is possible to end up with a dodgy fitting if you’re not careful. I’m not savvy enough to fit it myself so where is it best to go in a hundred mile radius of Stansted airport?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Your compressor fridge will be by far the biggest user of power, when that's working hard you are using more power, this is where solar starts to pay real benefits.

Adding batteries will just increase your time off grid by amount of batteries added, and there are practical limits to this for a van.

I would be looking at a 120w + solar set up.

Hmmm £1k . . .

Inverter – maybe ask yourself why you’d want one. In this modern age of low voltage DC consumer electronics they’re unnecessary imo. We had one in out van and removed it. If they’re used they cane the batteries and the only items that we might have used it for, the laptops, are sorted with a laptop specific 12v to 19.8v DC transformer for under £15.

Compressor fridge. With money to burn I’d look at the logistics of replacing it with a gas fridge. If you can also stick some solar in as well then during the summer you’ll be able to stay off grid indefinitely. The only caveat I’d add is that given your van size there may be issues siting a sufficiently large gas bottle to avoid you having to keep filling up with gas.

If the fridge idea is unappealing or too costly then yes, definitely solar panels with a best in class solar regulator which probably means avoiding installers who just want to install kits. I’d suggest that if you identify what appears to be a reliable installer you specify the kit to install rather than leave it to them. I’d also suggest you discuss with them how they’ll mount the solar panels and lay the cable runs, integrate the solar into your existing electronics etc to be sure that you’ll be happy with the end result.

I'd go from the other end i.e. rather than finding ways to conserve lekky, generate your own with a nice noisy four stroke petrol generator.

https://www.energygeneratorsales.co.uk/honda-generator-sales/product-detail/honda-eu22i-22kw22kva-petrol-inverter-generator?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsvrpBRCsARIsAKBR_0ID40N-DuNAclOs5OG2JeL9NorW10EKH5aC-bcvm0ssgQhSCe8iQrYaAtNAEALw_wcB

Maybe convert it to lpg?

Is it the Honda Facetious Generator? Doesn’t get good reviews. I could run it on wine! Red, of course. Either way, you’d not like the noise. Nor would anyone else in the vicinity.

It was a serious request for genuine opinions even if the thread title was a little tongue in cheek.

Guest pelmetman
Cidered - 2019-07-29 9:31 AM

So the question is...what to spend it on? I want to increase my ability to spend more than two days off grid. My van already has two 90ah gel batteries and I don’t want to change them. My electrical needs are fairly simple: compressor fridge, led lights, phone and iPad charging, water pump, oh, but it’s not a deal breaker, charging electric bikes if possible. No tv, satellite or any of that caper. Am I best adding solar or a battery to battery charger? Is it worth adding a sine wave converter?

I’ve read lots of info, particularly from alan at aanda, and I realise that it is possible to end up with a dodgy fitting if you’re not careful. I’m not savvy enough to fit it myself so where is it best to go in a hundred mile radius of Stansted airport?

Thanks in advance for any input.

How world has changed 8-) .........back in the olden days it was either my lack of water or a full bog that drove me back to civilization .......It was never the lack of leccy :D .......

P1010899.JPG.1e4d0291ef17f4f42f25286132cdceef.JPG

How world has changed 8-) .........back in the olden days it was either my lack of water or a full bog that drove me back to civilization .......It was never the lack of leccy :D .......

Yeah. A fridge! The modern world gone mad!, I expect you’ll be pensioning off that bloke who walks in front of your van with a flag next.

Wish I’d never bothered asking now......

Guest pelmetman
Cidered - 2019-07-29 8:52 PM

Yeah. A fridge! The modern world gone mad!, I expect you’ll be pensioning off that bloke who walks in front of your van with a flag next.

Wish I’d never bothered asking now......

Seems to me you're better off spending the money on buying a sense of humour ;-) .........

P1010899.JPG.5fd4ebf9efaf29e2079a7a33e434a3ce.JPG

As my previous post. I have 300 watts of Solar 2 100 amp Youasa L36-EFB batteries. Votronic 450 Mppt regulator. Victrom 30 amp Bluetooth charger. I also have a 2000 watt psw inverter that is connected to my (engine battery) This allows me to run the mains charger whilst driving which gives a higher rate of charge to the batteries and also enables me to run the fridge on mains which is more efficient at cooling and temp controlled. Please not the inverter runs from the engine battery direct with heavy cabling. If you were to run this from the leisure battery the standard cabling may be undersized for the type of loading the will be required. I have had this system in place with various mods for two winters with extended trips away and found it ideal. If parked up for long periods and on our own I carry a Honda eu1i genny but have used it only a hand full of times less than 3 litres of petrol. But whilst it is very quiet I still respect others. On my ?Elddis the 240 hook up socket is recessed allowing me to have the plug from the inverter plugged in whilst driving. Other vans may need a rotary switch fitted, it is important that the inverter and the mains supply cannot be connected at the same time.

Archived