Huge Demands For Motorhomes.

Hans

Given the many reports of clampdown on Motorhomes and Camper Vans reported in Spain and Portugal and coupled with traditional UK antipathy and rising Scottish anger, I suspect things will get a whole lot tougher and more expensive for the dedicated MH enthusiast. Already price inflation and scarcity on parts (with long ordering lead times) rears its head, goodness knows what it will do to MH prices. I suppose for us old hands we must feel a degree of NIMBYism and selfishly wish that the status quo had not been upset. One only needs to view reports and complaints about the mounds of refuse and even sewerage left on beaches and public spaces by a new breed of visitor to realise a different class of MH owner will also emerge.

Very much agree, the establishment has been rocked this year by the new breed of campers and it will be interesting to see how the old guard and the new co exist especially as there is little in common in terms of what is considered acceptable behaviour, one group observing a bunch of old farts who have had it all their own way and the other a group of feral humans invading their territory, stealing their sites and upsetting the status quo; question is are we about to become the Neanderthals of camping or do we integrate with them or do we retreat to cosy (relatively expensive) club sites where we can pretend the outside world hasn't changed. Interesting times, and challenges for us all I expect

costaexpress - 2021-02-28 9:20 PM

Very much agree, the establishment has been rocked this year by the new breed of campers and it will be interesting to see how the old guard and the new co exist especially as there is little in common in terms of what is considered acceptable behaviour, one group observing a bunch of old farts who have had it all their own way and the other a group of feral humans invading their territory, stealing their sites and upsetting the status quo; question is are we about to become the Neanderthals of camping or do we integrate with them or do we retreat to cosy (relatively expensive) club sites where we can pretend the outside world hasn't changed. Interesting times, and challenges for us all I expect

Glad to see there has been no dramatic overreaction and histrionics to a surge in motorhome ownership. *-)

I can recognise an old fart at long range but how do I recognise this new breed of feral motorhome owner? Will they carry on the tradition of dumping grey and black waste willy nilly? Will they know they can park up for weeks at seaside locations with their table and chairs on the pavement? We need answers. 8-)

Its all gone a bit mad.

A friend who gave up his job repairing aircraft and bought a working croft in Inveralligin, Torridon was feeding back the stories of horror from the locals from last year. Comments were of vans going back and forth on the road out to Diabaig looking for a spot, finding none and parking overnight in passing places, often several vans squeezed in together, emergency vehicles unable to pass.

My feeling is that alot if it is hire vans, but its fair to say that the locals now hate us all. The campsites at Torridon and Inveralligin have also been abused by motorhomers - the Torridon site does not allow motorhomes or campervans, its tents only.

I've seen huge changes in the number of vans on the road even during 14 year period of van ownership.

Frankly its about time that the hire companies signed up to a code of conduct, re hire of vans and education provided to would-be-hirers - particularly expectation management - a family of 4 might get one or 2 nights of autonomy before needing to empty the loo etc - but campervan hire is being sold as a 'cheap' holiday - eg 'free' after the cost of hiring the van.

Wont be long before we see significant restrictions on vanning in Scotland.

Karen

Going back a few months and getting fed up with lockdown with the chance of all sites getting booked weeks in advance once they reopen, and looking at our MH sat on the drive I put it up for sale on an auction site for a inflated price to see what would happen.

I did not expect the response I got with buyers wanting to travel a huge amount of miles to come and view and showing a huge interest to buy.

So I could have possibly made a good profit but a another lockdown came before the advert ended and I cancelled all viewings and had time to rethink the situation.

I was thinking of selling up and buying again in a couple of years once the novelty had worm off, and the new MH owners booked flights abroad again and wanting to recoup some of the money spent.

I am still getting emails asking when viewings will start but now having 2nd thoughts.

Perhaps as a tolerant nation we are now reaping the reward of condoning in allowing to go unpunished the actions of so called travellers and other dross who leave a trail of destruction and waste wherever they go and nobody in authority seems to care.

Perhaps we won't get another van after all - just remember the good times when we knew our responsibilites as well as our rights and we enjoyed our freedoms with responsibility without offending anyone else?

747 - 2021-03-01 9:15 AM

costaexpress - 2021-02-28 9:20 PM

Glad to see there has been no dramatic overreaction and histrionics to a surge in motorhome ownership. *-)

I can recognise an old fart at long range but how do I recognise this new breed of feral motorhome owner? Will they carry on the tradition of dumping grey and black waste willy nilly? Will they know they can park up for weeks at seaside locations with their table and chairs on the pavement? We need answers. 8-)

(lol) Yeah its nothing new. Look at this Yobbo!!

1810767848_HooliganGypsycampmotorhomer.JPG.c17d4cddcb42523eef248284e4aac846.JPG

I managed to get my picture back in my profile. I created an url of my picture with "Tinypic" but they do not support this website anymore. I made a new url with "postimage" and copied that to my profile now and it works !

I'll be selling my Hymer before much longer as it hasn't moved much in 2 to 3 years. My first trip was back in 2000 around Dorset and Cornwall in a little Autosleeper Rambler GL and then 2 Hymers later and little Autosleepers. Using the small 'van here in the UK and the Hymers to over winter in France Spain, Portugal and Africa for 6 months. I never used to see a 'van from one day to the next. You could always get on a site or aire and were never moved on when parking over night some where. So times have changed. Because we can no longer over winter in the sun and the staggering amount of 'vans there are now its time to give it up. I'll keep my little pop top van for day trips in Spain. from my place there and use it as my run around here in the UK. It will be interesting to see what happens to the British in Spain as there must have been thousands who overwintered there and in Portugal. I think some may sell their properties there and go elsewhere maybe. I don't think it will effect Spain's economy much either. Who knows. A new adventure calling I think Maybe 3 months in Spain, 3 in the far east Japan, Philippines, Thailand or Australia even New Zealand then Spain again for another 3 months and summer in the UK for 3 Months!

Spyder - 2021-03-02 7:26 PM

Odd, I’m sure I read in this months MMM UK sales of Motorhomes are down 17% whereas Germany is up 20%??

I'm sure your right. It going to get a bit crowded in the UK as Many of us will not be going away for six months to over winter in the warmer parts of the EU any more. To many it was the whole point of having a motorhome.

With local transmission of Covid currently under control in AU, state borders open and international borders still basically closed all those people who went overseas or on cruises are looking for an alternative. As a result the MH/caravan market has seen serious increases in both sales and prices. The supply & demand curve has definitely kicked in. We have seen a large increase in caravan/MH's on the roads many look new. The dealers are massively short of new stock and are living off sales of ex rentals while they wait for the local builders to increase production. That is not easy as base vehicles and components seem to be in short supply.

In winter we would normally head north to Queensland (in the same way you would head to Spain) however the more popular caravan parks are already booked out. So this year we have decided to do it differently, we plan to leave on a 14,000 odd klm journey in a clockwise direction around the island commonly known as a "lap" departing towards the end of April. Should be a good test for our newish Adria. By the time we head up the west coast to the hot end of the continent the wet season rains will have gone and we should be in a warm climate for winter.

That is the plan however we have learnt over 2020 that it is best not to lock in too far ahead as Covid has a way of derailing plans when borders are shut within 24hours. cheers,

Archived