Hymer B584

jonmar

Please can you experienced motor-homers give me some advice - due to his newly diagnosed medical condition my husband is likely to find he is not allowed to drive our van and I don't know how to sell it. I love the van which we've had from new so full service record, but at 5 foot I can barely see over the steering wheel and can't reach the hand break! Add to that the fact that I'm 80.

We live in Dorset, but have been going to France with the van twice a year with trips to Spain and Portugal as well so will miss it greatly.

Advice gratefully received

The year of registration is important, with that we can probably advise about approximate prices and how to set about advertising. To avoid the hassle of selling it yourself you could use a broker, there are some good reliable people who will sell a motorhome for a reasonable fee. Dealers may also be interested in buying it for their stock but prices will be better in the spring.

H

Old! Bought in January 2004, reg 03. I realised, too late, that I hadn't included this. If it was a lot newer then a local dealer might have taken it, but this would be more of a bargain for perhaps newbies. Annually serviced in reputable garage plus habitation check. Has had new clutch, windscreen and habitation door steps , new shower floor over the years.

Thanks for replying

Older Hymers generally keep their price very well. You shouldn't have any difficulty selling privately but probably best to wait till the New year.

I had a 2002 Hymer 544 and sold it in 2012 for £21k. The resale value of your vehicle should be at least £15k if not more.

The B584 is a 3 berth with 3 belted seats. Your target market is therefore probably more suited to a couple and not a young family (unless a single child family).

Premier Motorhomes in Chichester are Hymer dealers and might be interested in adding it to their stock.

Sorry to hear you've had to give up but it will happen to us all, eventually :-(

If you have access to Facebook or have someone who can help you if you don’t use it, then have a look at hymer owners group. It has a ‘membership’ of over 5000 and can be a good source of advice regarding your proposed sale. They also have a sister group called hymers for sale where you can advertise for free. Whilst it is not guaranteed, I think you would get guidance and advice and access to a ready made market.

Davy

I reckon your B584 could be worth as much as £20 to £22,000 depending on the mileage and condition. If it was mine I would go to a local dealer and get a part exchange value against a newer motorhome. Then knock a couple of thousand off the PX value and you should be somewhere near a good private sale price

Using a broker takes all the hassle away, he gets a commission but it could be worth it, I have sold via a broker and it worked very well.

Good luck, don't fall for any scams, there are some clever criminals out there who will try all sorts to get their hands on your motorhome without paying.

H

Hymer is a status brand which will work in your favour.

If the van is a low but sensible mileage (say 80,000) in reasonable condition and from what you’ve indicated well looked after, then if it were me, I’d Ebay it with plenty of information and photographs at £24,000 with an expectation of getting no less than £22,000 and more probably £23,000 .

Selling a high value item via Ebay is not for those unfamiliar with the ways of commerce though (aka as cons and fraud) so the alternative routes suggested via hallii are well worth investigating.

By way of comparison, I was recently offered £24,000 for my 2003 LHD 78,000 mile Dethleffs (similar in size to your Hymer). It’s not for sale.

I also note that on motorhome depot there’s a 2003 LHD Hymer B584 https://www.motorhomedepot.com/vehicle/hymer-b584 for £27,000 . Rather a low mileage which would be a worry.

jonmar - 2018-11-05 7:23 PM

Old! Bought in January 2004, reg 03. I realised, too late, that I hadn't included this. If it was a lot newer then a local dealer might have taken it, but this would be more of a bargain for perhaps newbies. Annually serviced in reputable garage plus habitation check. Has had new clutch, windscreen and habitation door steps , new shower floor over the years.

Thanks for replying

I have friend looking out for a more 'mature' Hymer - I've sent you a PM [personal message]

Regards,

Mike.

If your Fiat based Hymer has an oval shaped speedo binacle as opposed to a rectangular one, that's a good plus point. There was a major Fiat mechanical upgrade in 2002 which included the oval shaped speedo.

My Hymer of this era did have to have the front wheel bearings replaced, a known problem up until 2006 when Fiat introduced a new base vehicle.

Perhaps my earlier post suggesting a resale value of £15k+ was a bit on the low side, judging by subsequent posts. However, the 3 berth layout with 3 belted seats may only appeal to a small audience, which was my point, in a round about way, without being too negative.

Your Hymer has obviously given you good service over the years together with good memories. My gut feeling is that you could both possibly cope better with the emotional loss of the van if you could sell to a private buyer who was truely enthusiastic with the purchase and would give it a good home. A therapeutic sale, even if you don't achieve your expected price. Just my thoughts based on your unfortunate situation.

jonmar - 2018-11-05 5:30 PMPlease can you experienced motor-homers give me some advice - due to his newly diagnosed medical condition my husband is likely to find he is not allowed to drive our van and I don't know how to sell it. I love the van which we've had from new so full service record, but at 5 foot I can barely see over the steering wheel and can't reach the hand break! Add to that the fact that I'm 80.We live in Dorset, but have been going to France with the van twice a year with trips to Spain and Portugal as well so will miss it greatly.Advice gratefully received

We ourselves used to have a Hymer B584 - bar version - sold it to upgrade to our current Hymer van.
Regards a good local "Broker" then try a company called Bundesvan in Alcaster.
They import and also sell Hymer vehicles, and may put your van on their site for sale, as a broker.
Give them a call and see what they say. They may even give you some advice as to what price it would probably fetch.
Hope this helps.

Archived