Hymer B644 2005 Garage door hinge

Whiskeymac

Good afternoon friends.

I have been stymied in my attempts to replace a failing hinge on one of the large garage doors of my 2005 Hymer B644. The hinges are 3 leafed and of simple design. The problem top hinge has a crack and bend in the middle leaf attached to the body, so the door sinks when open and can only be closed by lifting and pushing. I can now only safely access from the far door.

I sought replacement from Brownhills, who sent me an incorrect item and then confirmed that the correct item was unobtainable.  It was suggested that Caravan Accessories might help, but they couldn't. I'm told that it might be an Ellbee hinge but when I tried the ellbee.co.uk link from Caravan Accessories, I found that the website is up for sale and the hinges are of simple design, each leaf being flat and identical.  Interestingly the habitation door has 3 hinges with two sections the same as the garage hinge but the third is bent through three right angles, so that's not an alternative.

I made no progress prior to lockdown, when all firms closed, now that Browntrees is open again, am trying to contact them, if only to return the incorrect item and to resume my quest.

I am wondering if any forum member can throw any happiness upon this plight.  Has anyone had success is finding an engineer prepared to manufacture a hinge? I did try a chap who was recommended in this forum, but he only did two hinges, neither of which is 3 leafed.

Any lead or advice would be very welcome.

I was interrupted by a callback from Brownhills after a long wait...They are very busy. This time I spoke to Darren who is clearly the number one, go to man for Hymer parts.  I related the problem and that I had been unable to return the incorrect hinge due to lockdown closure, when he revisited the search and found pictures of the correct hinge!!! You could have blown me down with a feather. I have an email from what I now regard the B team, stating categorically that the part is no longer available.

Sorry for any time wasted.  Regard this post closed, barring delay in getting the item from source.  :-D

Archived