Hymer drop down bed gas struts

Brock

One of the motorised gas struts has snapped at the motor end and needs replacing. The Hymer part costs £672, presumably reflecting the cost of the motor.

I notice that SGS sell gas struts, without the motor, for Hymer at under £50 each. Having had two manually operated drop down beds in the past [Arto and Hymer], I'm tempted just to replace both existing struts with SGS struts and go back to manual operation.

What experience have motorhomers had of these SGS gas struts and is my idea feasible? There may be an issue manually lifting/dropping the bed because the table in our layout is in the way. I have read that replacing struts can be difficult because of the pressurised struts but it seems to be to be a cases of bolting them on at both ends when the bed is dropped down.

The van came with the motorised drop down bed.

I am not familiar with the struts attachment on this particular application however I have replaced gas struts many times - the fact they are pressurised should not present you with a problem - you simply bolt them on when they are fully extended - the problem you may have and the reason they are attached to a motor is as you suspect - the actual leverage required to lift without the motor assistance may prove uncomfortable - (depending on how you are able to position your stance to gain leverage ) you can usually adjust the pressure with a grub screw but this may effect its stability it in the closed position . If you try it and it works for you no harm done if it doesn't work you may be able to return the struts or keep them as spares .

I consulted SGS a few years ago and following their advice fitted gas struts to our Autosleeper Executive bed bases.

You do need to be careful that they are not under compression when you fit them to avoid damage or injury but that is more common sense than technical.

I found SGS very helpful and wanting to supply the right parts for the job, as long as they understand your explanation of what you want to achieve, and a photo and dimensions might help.

Worth a look on line when I was working we used to fit all manner of gas struts and had a firm who we used to send the old one and they matched it up with a replacement if it wasn't listed. Sorry don't know who was done thru stores worked out about a 1/3rd of oem strut

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to get a motorised strut from CRD Devices in the North East. They hold stocks of what is known as a Linear Actuator:

http://crd-devices.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/HIWIN-LAS-Series-3.pdf

The cost was £160 including next day delivery. It is exactly what Hymer fitted on my van, one on each side of the drop down bed framework. Drop down bed is working again.

Archived