You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
Hymer headlamp replacement
AuthorMessage
userMike74
Posted: 6 April 2021 1:20 PM
Subject: Hymer headlamp replacement

Just joined

1st post, be kind!

Hymer BC655 "A" class 2006 2.8jtd. LHD.
The main beam reflector on our motorhome has gone rusty and I need to replace the whole unit, possibly one from ebay. I think I can get access to the unit by removing the "HYMER" grill, 3 self tappers on top and 2 underneath. However the unit appears to be fixed to the fiberglass front by self tappers from the outside, and covered by a aluminum bezel. Tried pulling the bezel with hooks but it won't move! Does anyone know how to remove the bezel. Am I on the right track?

(Main Beam.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Main Beam.JPG (39KB - 9 downloads)
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 6 April 2021 2:46 PM
Subject: RE: Hymer headlamp replacement

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Mike.

A similar enquiry was made on the MHFun forum in 2019 - but the advice (remove the headlamp, then remove the bezel) was just a guess.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/hymer-b644-2004-headlamp-bezel-removal.201037/

There’s plenty of online advice about replacing a headlamp bulb on these B-class Hymers (a challenging task in its own right) but I can’t find any credible guidance about removing a complete headlamp from Hymer motorhomes that have this ‘bezel’ arrangement.

(Have you explored taking the headlamp out by accessing it from within the engine compartment? I could believe there might be some sort of metal ‘frame’ inside the engine compartment and held in place with self-tapping screws that are visible behind the bezel, and wth the headlamp unit then attached to te frame. However, I’m a mite doubtful that Hymer would be bloody-minded enough to attach the headlamp unit directly with self-tapping screws.

This YouTube video relates to a Hymer A-class motorhome with the four round headlamps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQF6hWhDqzQ

But the vehicle is a 1998 model lacking the bezels shown in your photo, so may not be relevant..

userTeamRienza
Posted: 6 April 2021 3:18 PM

Keeps coming back for more

If you subscribe to Facebook, there is an owners group ( a closed group nicknamed hogs) which has a huge membership and consequently much good advice to be had. Easy to join. Hymer owners group.

They also have a separate sales site. Sadly I have not found a good web forum dedicated to Hymers.

Davy
userMike74
Posted: 6 April 2021 3:30 PM

Just joined

Thanks Derek, had a look at the video. That assembly seems to be held from inside onto a plate by self tappers then into the fiberglass. However on mine it's the opposite way round, there are definitely 4 self tappers under the bezel passing through the fiberglass into the mounting plate. Looking from outside, the bezel is cut away around the heads of the screws presumably to allow it to seat correctly. Fingers crossed, someone may have a method of "springing" the bezel off, after that it should be a doddle, (for Hymer headlights).
userthebishbus
Posted: 6 April 2021 4:44 PM

Epic contributor

I don't know if is the same to replace the whole lamp, but to replace the bulb on our B584 you have to do it from underneath . You have to jack it up, remove the wheel and the plastic wheel arch cover . With ours I just removed the screws from the front half of the cover ,then bent it back, and tied it back to access the lamp. Not a quick job.
Brian B.

Ps If your headlamp adjustment is as in the video it is not a vacuum unit ,it is a self contained unit full of liquid .

Edited by thebishbus 2021-04-06 5:01 PM
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 6 April 2021 4:59 PM

Mike

The MHFun link I provided earlier mentioned that Hymer used double-sided adhesive tape to secure the grey plastic moulding surrounding the headlamps in one photo. It's possible that this tape was also used to secure your bezels and - if the right tape had been chosen - adhesion could be very firm. As Hymer won't have been too concerned about it being simple for an owner to remove a complete headlamp unit, as long as it was easy to fit the bezel when the motorhome was built, the method employed might well have ignored subsequent removal.

You might try using a hair-dryer to warm up the bezel and then see if 'hooking' will get it to move.
userMike74
Posted: 6 April 2021 5:29 PM

Just joined

Thanks all for the help. I may have to grit my teeth and join the Facebook group mentioned. I will report progress.
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator