Hymer headlights

yoko8pups

....the definitive reply will depend on the age of the vehicle.

If it is the older type with round Hella lights, then the contents of this post (targeted at Rapido, but relevant to the lights rather than the converter) will apply.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Rapido-A-Class-Headlights/37631/#M455326

For the later "teardrop" combined lights, I think there may be an adjustment lever, but someone will probably be along to confirm.

...aah, from the title I'd interpreted an A Class (B524).

The Ducato headlights are "handed" and not in themselves adjustable.

My understanding is that, to get the vehicle registered in the UK, beam deflectors or masks are no longer sufficient, and lamps with the correct beam pattern are required.

Perversely, masks or beam benders are still deemed sufficient for the MOT test.

You may be searching for some RHD headlights if you're looking for UK registration (though, once that is done, re-fitting the LHD ones and using masks or benders in the UK may well be sufficient.)

For the round headlamps, as Robin is referring to, follow this link: http://tinyurl.com/qgghkh6

The almond shaped ones (assuming tungsten bulbs) have two adjuster levers inside the rear of the lamp unit. There should be a "rubber" cap over the rear of the lamp that has to be removed to gain access to the levers. It may prove easier to carefully remove the lamp unit to do this the first time, as it is only possible to see inside the rear of the lamp with the aid of a mirror and, depending on location, possibly a torch. If the lamps have LED or xenon bulbs, it seems these cannot be adjusted and new, left hand dipping units, would have to be bought to replace them. That, is an expensive cure!

Bog standard, facelifted, Fiat Ducato headlamps, There will be no adjustment for left dipping. Buy new, or salvaged, headlamps. Check whether or not they have the remote adjustment. Easy to remove/refit.

They seem to have been fitted with beam benders to correct the dipped beam for left hand traffic. If correctly aligned, they will pass UK MoT with these fitted, but the benders do not meet the UK requirement for registration. If the vehicle has already been registered in UK, someone else was responsible for that! :-)

If not yet registered in UK, the van will be subject to a VOSA check before it can be registered, and will probably then fail on the lights. Your only option then, will be new headlamps.

Thank you Brian, I think I may be in luck as i bought it in the UK and plan to re register it in Portugal so I need it to be correct for left handed driving. I had a feeling I might be able to remove the little deflectors and it would be correct for LHD. Do you think I will be able to?

...that would depend on whether the headlamps are the original LHD ones with the masks designed for RHD use, or they have been changed at some point to RHD ones, and the masks have been applied for continental use. :-)

It's odds on that they are the original (LHD) units, in which case careful removal of the masks (and cleaning - be careful what you use!) should revert to LHD setting.

You should be able to check the pattern with the masks on - if in this state they have a RHD "kick-up" or a flat beam, it is pretty sure they are LHD lights.

...I usually use a little WD40 and a cloth to remove the last of the adhesive, BUT, then give the lights a good wash down with soapy water to remove any residue.

Haven't had any problems in using this a good few times, but more aggressive agents such as white spirit have been reported as "crazing" the polycarbonate "lens".

yoko8pups - 2015-03-28 5:34 PM

Thank you Brian, I think I may be in luck as i bought it in the UK and plan to re register it in Portugal so I need it to be correct for left handed driving. I had a feeling I might be able to remove the little deflectors and it would be correct for LHD. Do you think I will be able to?

Then I hope the procedure for re-registering the van in Portugal is simpler than I hear it is in Spain, where it seems expensive, complex, time consuming to the point of near-impossibility! So, good luck, and happy travels.

I have found that the best agent for removal of the reidue adhesive from beam deflection stickers is white spirit.

I have , however, this year bought in Spain an excellent adhesive remover. I am at the moment on my way home from Spain so the proof of the pudding will be next week when I come to use it!

John

• 9 months later...
Brian Kirby - 2015-03-28 6:30 PM

yoko8pups - 2015-03-28 5:34 PM

Then I hope the procedure for re-registering the van in Portugal is simpler than I hear it is in Spain, where it seems expensive, complex, time consuming to the point of near-impossibility! So, good luck, and happy travels.

Brian, you are right, it has been so difficult I feared for my sanity at times. The previous owner had downplated to 3500 from 3900 and of course Portugal wouldn't accept it, it had to be the same as the COC. We have successfully up plated again but DVLA have twice claimed to have failed to receive the application for a V5 with the new weight on, then a couple of days ago our origional application turned up stamped by the DVLA 1/12/2015, so it got to Swansea and then got sent back to us without being altered. We are half way through the importation process here and have PT MOT but if it can't be registered by May we will have to bring it back again to MOT it in the UK!

Archived