Hymer perhaps not what it seems

brandane

I recently bought à Hymer B class from a dealer, it was advertised and sold as 2011 and that indeed was when it was registered, the dvla confirms this as did the mycar check and all the sale documentation.

There is a full service history and the first MOT was in 2014

The van has hardly been used and I spoke to the previous owner, the second registered keeper who had bought the van from the dealer I bought it from and traded it in for a new one confirming the low mileage.So far so good.

I have noticed, however, that for example when changing the awning light bulb the fitting was dated 2008, some other components are also dated 2008/2007 but just thought that the factory bulk bought components.

Some of the plastics seemed a bit more weathered but again I thought it was because it had stood about in the previous owners garden for most of its life.

On another thread a contributer thought that when Brownhills were in a bit of difficulty a few years back a number of RHD Hymers were held back at the factory for therefor were built few years.before being registered.

The first owner indeed bought it from Brownhills in 2011.

Don't get me wrong I am happy with the m/h and it will be my pride and joy for a good number of years, but if indeed it is an older build should the dealer not have told me (sorry I know I am just too naive and should not be allowed out on my own) and should it/does it have an effect on the value as dealers just seem to quote the valuation from the Glass-s book for the date of registration.

If you check the dates on Fiat plastic parts this will give you good idea of base vehicle build date as Sevel work on JIT and don't keep large stocks.

It's not unusual for vehicles to be registered quite some time after build.

Suggest you investigate the Fiat Ducato website and check for recall advice.

From what I remember, they give VIN numbers affected and start and end date affected. From this data you can interpolate when approximately your base vehicle was built.

I did this when buying secondhand and found that the base vehicle was built about 18 months prior to the registration date.

IT seems quite usual to have a later body build date than the chassis, my chassis was built in 2007 and completed in late 2009. The factory probably bought a lot of chassis and then completed them as orders came in.

But if the body was built a couple of years before the registration date, that suggests it stood around for a while, and might well be an earlier specification.

There will be two significant dates - the date when the Ducato chassis-cowl left the Fiat factory and the date when Hymer completed the conversion.

Providing the motorhom’s VIN-number to a Fiat main agent should allow the former date to be established and Hymer should be able to provide the latter date.

This link may be of interest

http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/333085-date-manufacture.html

The inquiry related to a Fiat-based Hobby motorhome bought new around August 2013 and it transpired that its Ducato base was manufactured in March 2011. (Another Brownhills ‘casualty’?)

Although by no means a certain proof, checking the date-of-manufacture code of the Hymer’s tyres (assuming they are the originals) may indicate roughly when the Ducato chassis was made.

All this does not matter a bit, dealer at part ex time will just look at the original logbook registration, if it is an official import that is it. Not unusual for foreign built vans to be built some time before they get to the UK especially a van like Hymer as they tend to stand around, sales of them in the UK are very small. the dealer has done nothing wrong and the as new registration not the build date will apply.

The build date is important as far as what you actually own is concerned and potential issues.

Some early X250s were notoriuous for reverse gear issues and there is, I believe, a build date from around 2009 when these issues that Fiat never did accept existed were largely resolved.

As far as Euro type and thus the complexity of the fuel and emissons systems there have been ongoing updates and partial updates in the evolution from Euro4 to Euro 6 over the years as Fiat try out their latest ideas on an unsuspecting public.

No doubt there are other important 'milestones' in the development journey from 2006 to 2016?

Tracker - 2016-04-13 11:51 AM

The build date is important as far as what you actually own is concerned and potential issues.

Some early X250s were notoriuous for reverse gear issues and there is, I believe, a build date from around 2009 when these issues that Fiat never did accept existed were largely resolved.

As far as Euro type and thus the complexity of the fuel and emissons systems there have been ongoing updates and partial updates in the evolution from Euro4 to Euro 6 over the years as Fiat try out their latest ideas on an unsuspecting public.

No doubt there are other important 'milestones' in the development journey from 2006 to 2016?

Rich, in the terms of the poster question it does not matter. While many small parts and minor fittings on the base and habitation part of the van may be old stock the main engine/gearbox components will not be, main components are never stored for long periods.

Tracker - 2016-04-13 11:51 AM

...No doubt there are other important 'milestones' in the development journey from 2006 to 2016?

One of the ‘milestones’ would be Fiat’s move for Ducato from Euro 4 motors to Euro 5 ones and this took place in 2011 - the year in which brandane’s Hymer was UK-registered.

As lennyhb has said, the Certificates of Conformity for a Type-Approved motorhome should carry the relevant dates, but there’s no certainty that the motorhome’s original vendor will have provided those certificates to the buyer or - even if that did happen - that the certificates will be passed on to subsequent owners.

As the dates of manufacture of the base-vehicle and the conversion should be relatively straightforward to establish, there does not seem to be any persuasive reason not to do this (unless a buyer fears he/she has bought an ‘oldie’ and prefers not to know!)

It only confirms my suspicions probably also explains why the battery packed up earlier this year.

They don't make life easy finding the date of the tyres do they, the dot number is only on one side, the inside!

I think knowing that it lay unloved in storage for probably 2 years without turning a wheel the tyres need changing now even although they have only done 11000 miles.

I am relieved that it is still regarded as a 2011 van regardless of its build date.

As I said previously I am happy with the m/h and I don't think Hymers change their spec greatly year from year any way but I think the main issue revolves around the age and expected life of the consumables, such as the tyres and batteries and now I know I can deal with it, even if it is earlier than I expected.

Many thanks for all your responses.

Archived