I cannot lock my van ....

TheLaird

It does not look very young so chances are something has come adrift/loose/jammed/broken internally.

If might or might not be easy to fix and you might need some igenuity but I suspect that removal of the internal handle will be needed.

Meanwile if you can lock from outside and use the cab doors all is not lost.

If you hunt around on the web there are probably instructions or an exploded diagram and knowing the maker or converter may help?

If you can locate a source for a replacement before you remove it that gives you two chances and reduces the risk of an unlockable van

It looks like there are 4 screws/bolts that lie behind the small round blanking caps at the top and one more below and unless you are very careful/lucky theses caps will be damaged when removing, but they are cosmetic and will not affect the way it works.

Be careful when withdrawing the handle in case anything drops and at my age I find that taking photos as I go helps remember where things fit.

Owen’s motorhome is a 2009 Compass Avantgarde 130 - so the base is a Peugeot Boxer.

However (as Tracker advises) as it’s the motorhome’s habitation that won’t lock from inside, it’s likely that something in the locking mechanism has broken or become detached.

The lock is made by OBERHOLZ and Owen’s photo indicates that his habitation door is hinged on the left looking from outside the motorhome.

A black versionof the lock is advertised here

https://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/oberholtz-pull-handle-door-lock-complete-black-left-hand-2910-p.asp

and the complete ‘kit’ is shown in the image attached below.

1557755723_oberholtz-pull-handle-door-lock-complete-black-left-hand-2-2910-p.thumb.jpg.d0052df7e0093f18217d2cb19d016b70.jpg

This 2010 MHFun forum thread discussed the same lock as yours and the same problem.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/oberholtz-door-lock.27310/

(The 1st attached file below was copied from an outdated Marcle Leisure advert, but it looks like that firm no longer sells that lock.)

There are also these 2017 and 2011 MHFun threads

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/autoquest-150-cant-lock-door-from-inside.164676/

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/help-a-newbie.40338/

The exterior and interior door handles are held in place by 5 screws. In the 2nd file below the positions of 4 of these are arrowed in red and are by the interior handle’s operating knob behind ‘blanking caps’ (your photo has one of the caps missing). The 5th screw (arrowed in green) is behind a cap at the bottom of the handle. Removing your lock’s blanking caps and undoing the 5 screws should allow the outer and inner door handles to be detached from the door.

The 3rd and 4th attached files show the top of the exterior handle and the two handles appear to be connected together by the components arrowed in blue.

Are you sure this isn’t a ‘procedural’ issue? I note that, in the MHFun threads, the following is said:

...you have to lock the door from outside, then turn the key back to horizontal at the bottom then take the key out and you can then use the inside lock.

and

Found there is three positions for locking the door with the key. One of them allows it to be locked from the inside.

Sounds peculiar to me, but you never know...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1lock.png.c798ac04ebec799cf8fad62a9ee154f6.png

1399844365_2innerhandle.jpg.18d786f6557964b21a4333d9facb6ebc.jpg

149992448_3outerhandle.jpg.1f63022ff8869728b2eea43f7002656b.jpg

4connector.png.1003d108bd6794112c325944e6aac6dd.png

Sometimes one gets lucky... ;-)

Evidently this lock is called “Holzhauer” in France and is fairly available (example advert here)

https://www.mon-camping-car.com/article/10687/serrure-de-porte-camping-car-holzhauer

Snag is (where UK-built motorhomes are concerned) the locks marketed in France are for a door on the motorhome’s right-hand side (ie, with its hinge on the right).

I think it's actually an "Oberholz" handle.

I've certainly had one on one of my past vans (probably a Swift a good long time ago).

It is still possible to source in the UK (O'Learys for one)

https://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/oberholtz-pull-handle-door-lock-complete-black-left-hand-2910-p.asp

...though the LH is only in black, and they've added a "t" to the name ;-).

Expensive, though!

• 5 months later...
beardiebunch2 - 2021-02-23 7:43 PM

i am having similar problems i have replaced the oberholtz lock can lock from inside but not from outside with key

it will lock if i push shut

help please

I'm guessing a bit from memory but is it possible that the exterior lock tongue that fits into the interior lock is positioned wrong, possibly 180 degrees wrong?

Just a thought, always try the simple things first!

beardiebunch2 - 2021-02-23 7:43 PM

i am having similar problems i have replaced the oberholtz lock can lock from inside but not from outside with key

it will lock if i push shut

help please

The image attached below shows the component parts of an Oberholz caravan/motorhome door lock. It doesn’t look that difficult to disassemble the guts of the lock.

Assuming that the replacement inside part of the lock was the correct one and you fitted it correctly (and that the original outer part of your lock was in perfect working order) it’s not easy to understand why the door now cannot be locked from outside your vehicle using the key.

Based on the photos I provided last August, it seems possible (as Tracker has suggested) that the outer part of the lock could be fitted with its ’tongue’ wrongly positioned by 180 degrees. But you need to appreciate that there may be no forum-member who has sufficient intimate knowledge of the Oberholz lock and how its mechanism functions to diagnose exactly why you are having this problem.

(I’m also unsure about what “it will lock if I push shut” actually means and which part of the lock “the catch” is.)

1243352265_oberholzlock.jpg.0cceb72b36e31c69dfa1846ba3358ebe.jpg

I’ve annotated the photo on your last posting.

I assume (arrowed red) Part A screws on to the door frame and (arrowed green) Part B then covers Part A.

I would have thought Part B just clips on to Part A, as there do not seem to be any retaining screws, but (if that’s the case) how it unclips may not be obvious or straightforward.

My Rapido motorhome’s habitation-area entrance door might benefit from a minor adjustment of its catches. However, the entrance has a sliding concertina flyscreen and the flyscreen’s frame prevents the covers of the locks' catches from being removed. Adjusting the catches would be very easy but the covers need to come off to do it - so I’m not going to mess about with the flyscreen just to obtain a slightly better ‘fit’.

It might help to know your motorhome’s make, model and age just in case a forum-member has a similar vehicle and could look at its door lock.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/IDENTIFYING-YOUR-MOTORHOME/54713/

Archived