I'm considering setting up a Solar Panel unit.

BML

I have a 2002 Autotrail Pollensa on a Peugeot base and am considering fitting a solar panel. Someone showed me their system which comprised of a 120 Watt panel, a regulatory unit and two batteries. Someone else showed me their 60 Watt solar panel with a built in regulatory unit which I didn’t think would meet our requirements. My wife and I are not interested in TV only wishing to run, lighting, recharging mobile telephones and a laptop although my wife did mention a hair dryer and coffee maker. I also see a solar panel as something to keep the camper batteries charged in the Winter months. Someone attempted to convince me that all I needed was a 60 Watt panel but I would feel more secure with a 120 Watt. I have no electrical knowledge at all and would like to find someone in the Oxfordshire area to fit the system.

Like most thing, the bigger the better so I would suggest at the minimum a 100w panel. It all depends how much wild camping you do and how many leisure batteries you have. As for the hair dryer and coffee machine the solar panel won't run those you'll need a inverter fitted. I'm sure someone else with give you all the tech info shortly.

For most of your needs a 60w to 100w would most probably work, but the hairdryer and coffee m/c require a high amperage and the way you can do this for more than a minute without dramatically shortening the working life of the batteries is to increase the batteries, but then you will need quite a few batteries.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/inverters.php

Archived