I'm stumped about microwave inop with generator

Alanpandew

A brochure for a 2002 Winnebago/Itasca Sunstar can be viewed here

https://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-content/uploads/winnebago/2002/2002.Sunstar.pdf

The brochure lists a 2.8kW generator as an option (image attached below) and - as one might expect with a USA-specification RV - this provides 110V power.

(The ‘avatar’ photo on Alan’s posting is of a Thor “Chateau” RV.)

generator.png.4a33615371c37f26e45a1dd2106ab3eb.png

Alan,

Are you in the UK or USA?

If your RV is still wired as from the factory then it most likely has a 'Transfer switch' which changes over the power selection when a generator is running and these do fail.

If so then I feel you would need to find someone conversant with the USA wiring to correctly diagnose your fault.

Keith.

Alanpandew - 2019-11-22 3:12 PM

It does work on the inverter. Everything else works. The 110 sockets work. It had been working on the generator, then all of a sudden, no longer operating when I put the generator on.

If the sockets automatically changed to generator power when it was started then you almost certainly have a transfer switch and, as I said earlier, they do fail. They are actually nothing more than a mains operated relay and changeover contacts.

Keith.

Alan has said that his RV’s microwave oven works when powered from the inverter (so the oven seems to be OK) and that the oven used to work when powered from the generator. Also that, when the generator is running, the RV’s 110V sockets are functional - so the generator seems to be OK. Alan has also confirmed that he has checked all the RV’s circuit-breakers and fuses.

Keith has suggested a failed ‘transfer switch’ may be the cause of the problem and these switches are referred to on-line. But it’s evident from RV-related on-line comments that there are significant differences between USA standard electrical practice for RVs (not just 110V instead of 230V) and standard practice for ‘European’ motorhomes.

if I lived in the USA and owned a Winnebago RV, my first port of call for technical advice would be a website like this one

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/registry/

Obviously I don’t know if Alan has enquired about the microwave problem unsuccessfully on USA websites before trying this one, but USA forums (or even a UK RV forum) is where focused advice is most likely to be found.

Archived