I never thought I would need the heater!

Hi All, I've had my Autocruise for a year and haven't used the Eberspacher Combitronic for either heating or hot water - it was hot in France last summer and the kids pandemic play zone didn't require it.

The digital panel works fine (must set the date). - spacer.png

When I turn on the heating this starts working - spacer.png

... and this exhaust unit starts 'exhausting' - spacer.png

That lasts for about 4 minutes then it stops. There is no blowing from the vents going on inside the vehicle.

The same thing happens when I select hot water but there is more exhaust before it turns off after the same amount of time.

The ECU - spacer.png

Birds eye view of the set-up (ignore the 2 brown wires / usb outlet) - spacer.png

Interestingly the water heater cylinder got warmer but I certainly didn't select Hot Water from the panel. I was told it was all newly fitted when I bought it and it certainly looks that way - spacer.png

This makes my head spin - https://www.butlertechnik.com/downloads/Eberspacher_Combitronic_wiring_diagrams.pdf

I've had such a good experience from this forum that I thought I would post the problem here first as you learn so much more attempting to resolve things yourself.

Thank you for any advice.

Cheers

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

I'll have to start by saying I have no experience of the Eberspacher Combitronic but do with the Hydronic heater which it seems to be based around.

I'm going to have to guess a bit here but it sounds like the Hydronic heater is starting up correctly but then for some other reason the heat is not being drawn away and the unit then shuts down due to overheat.

Trouble shooting guides say to plug in Eberspacher's 'Edith' unit to diagnose so it seems you will either have to find someone with an Edith unit or buy one yourself.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/advice-centre/eberspacher-advice/eberspacher-airtronic-fault-finding-guide.html

Keith.

I put water in my van the other day, for the first time in about 6 months. The idea was to give it a run out, let the water slosh about and then drain it off. To be clear, chlorinated water is a way of treating an already clean tank in my view.

Circumstances got in the way and the van never moved. Tonight is forecast to be -2 degrees so I will give my Alde heating a try out to keep the van warmish, at least enough to prevent any harm.

Archived