I’ve gone dim.

jumpstart

Regrettably, no thoughts but the same wonderment. My Hymer is jam packed with "mood" lighting (like I need it beyond a bottle of wine at my age!) all of course recessed as you describe. Some more accessible LED downlights and an entire spotlight fixture have all failed at least 1 day past a 2 year warranty. These fixtures are a menace and extremely expensive to replace. Gone are the days of a simple bayonet fitting.

Charles - 2021-03-04 11:46 PM

They'll probably have an electronic driver to stop them overheating when charging the leisure battery at 14.4v so that may have failed.

I thought the little cubes on a strip of LED lights didn’t emit heat. Is it the driver that’s failed then?

I’ve looked for one but can’t see where it would be.

I doubt that Elddis will have bothered to fit any type of voltage regulation for the LED strip lights. Although this type of lighting should, in principle, be provided with a stable 12V supply, in motorhome/caravan applications good quality LED strip seems able to tolerate the 14V+ that a onboard battery-charger will produce. (I once asked Aten Lighting about this and was told that they could provide me with a voltage regulator if I so wished, but they had sold a lot of LED strips for motorhome/caravan use and the buyers had yet to complain about failure.)

There has been some online discussion about caravan/motothome LED strip lights behaving oddly and - when ‘dimming’ suddenly occurs - the explanation offered is usually that it’s been due to a wiring fault rather than caused by the strip light itself (example here)

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/134352-12v-lighting-problem/

That the LED strip on one side of the Elddis motorhome is at full brightness, while the strip on the other side works but has gone dim, suggests that the latter strip is no longer receiving adequate voltage. (This assumes that all the LEDs on the dim strip are still in working order, just not operating at full brightness.)

Hi On my 2015 115 elddis sunseeker the strip on the nearside go's dim occasionally but usually just by touching them they go bright again.

On mine they just lift out of the recess, perhaps they haven't been fitted correctly in the first place.

Pete .

P.S Haven't tried to take them out but they are fitted loosely.

Well done Derek ,it is precisely that...a wiring fault. I’ve removed the wiring trunking and went through wiggling each connection and have found one that allows the lights to come on.

As far as the actual LED strip light it is stuck to the surface but not actually able to get to.

Thanks for the comments.

Archived