IDP for Spain

Cattwg

I was going to post this on the “Passport and sudden no Deal” but understandably its been frozen.

With regard to International Driving Permits, it would appear that one will not be required for Spain. One will still be required for France. This off the government website:

Spain (including Balearic and Canary Isles) 1949 If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 31 October 2019, you’ll be able to drive here without an IDP until 31 July 2020. From 1 August 2020 onwards, you will need an IDP if you’re staying in Spain for more than 6 months. If you have an older, paper UK driving licence, you must take another form of photographic ID, such as your passport.

This may not be new information but I thought it worth repeating it.

Cattwg :-D

The problem is that at the moment “no one knows” until Brexit is resolved. If the UK bails on a No deal, there could be complications for years to come.

Living in Spain / having a MoHo to travel Europe a no deal Brexit would be the worst case scenario.

When Brexit was to take place on 29 March 2019, it was understood that (in the event of there being a ‘no deal’ departure) UK motorists visiting EU countries would require one or more IDPs. This general rule has evidently now been relaxed and the current IDP-related rules in a no-deal scenario are defined on the link I provided above.

As far as I’m aware there was never any suggestion that motorists holding a non-UK EU driving licence would require an IDP if they visited the UK post-Brexit, whether there was a ‘deal’ or not.

Archived