IDPs

TheFrenchConnection

A recent posting set me thinking (dangerous, I know).

What International Driving Permit will be needed when as a British citizen resident in France I visit the UK with my French licence which has been exchanged for a UK one?

Yes, it's a French, EU, licence but it also carries details of the UK licence that it was exchanged for as notes under the categories.

Yet another unintended consequence of Brexit!

It’s my understanding the the UK recognises non-UK licences so no IDP is required.

If the licence holder intends to be resident in the UK for over a year then they have to take a UK driving test and obtain a UK licence. So I don’t reckon you have anything to worry about on that account.

Mike

Guidance on the requirements for all UK citizens driving abroad from 29 March 2019 can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit/requirements-for-all-uk-citizens-driving-abroad-from-29-march-2019

(The webpage is continuously updated, with the most recent update being 19 January 2019.)

In your case the relevant information is contained in the section "Driving licence exchange for UK nationals living in the EU”. Fortunately, you have already done this and hold a French EU driving licence, so the advice is that (whatever happens Brexit deal-wise) "You can drive on your EU licence when visiting the UK”.

Hamish

This webpage provides guidance on International driving permits for UK drivers with effect from 28 March 2019

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/international-driving-permits-for-uk-drivers-from-28-march-2019

The advice on obtaining an IDP in the UK is

How to get an IDP

Until 31 January 2019, you can get 1926 and 1949 IDPs from 89 UK post offices, or by mail order from the AA or the RAC.

From 1 February 2019 you will only be able to get 1926, 1949 and 1968 IDPs over the counter from 2,500 UK post offices. Each IDP will cost £5.50.

Identifying the Post Office branches that can CURRENTLY issue IDPs can be done via this webpage

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/branchfinder1

Having used that facility, I’m pretty sure (ie. 99% sure ;-) ) that your assumption is wrong that FROM 1 FEBRUARY 2019 ONWARDS your nearest IDP-issuing Post Office branches will be Edinburgh or Dundee.

Evidently that is the situation NOW and until 31 January 2019, with Edinburgh and Dundee being two of the 89 UK IDP-issuing POs. But from 1 February 2019 another 2411 POs will come on IDP-issuing stream and some of those additional POs are bound to be in the Edinburgh/Dundee area.

At the moment there are four POs reasonably close to where I live that can issue IDPs, with the nearest 11 miles away. I am aware (because I asked the staff) that the PO branch in the town closest to my home (2 miles away) will be able to issue IDPs from 1 February 2019, but (to the best of my knowledge) there is no on-line listing to identify which 2500 of the UK-wide 11500 PO branches will be able to issue IDPs from February onwards. Presumably that information will be obtainable from the PO website on 1 February.

Archived