INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT

sandalwood

Just obtained the above from post office, just in case of no deal. DVLA advises getting one. At present it is easily obtained at certain offices. However, this ceases end of January, and new system takes over where you are photographed in office and wait for it to be posted. 100.00 are issued yearly, with a no deal it could rise to 7 million! Didn’t want to be at end of that queue! Easily obtained for £5.50 each. Must stress for me this is, Just in case! Also we could need Green Card which is free now, But insurers may charge,! Bet they will.

Happy New Year to all

S

"Government has confirmed that if there is ‘no deal’ then mutual recognition of driving licences between the UK and EU may end.

This would mean that UK drivers wishing to drive in Europe after 29 March 2019 would need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP):

A 1949 Convention IDP (Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta, Cyprus), or

A1968 Convention IDP (all other EU countries, Norway and Switzerland)"

Looks like we could need more than one IDP if touring Europe or simply going through France into Spain.

Cattwg :-D

It strikes me as strange that the Post Office should need to be involved at all. Given that we have centrally held digitalised photo-ID driving licences and photo-ID passports (often using the same photograph) I’d have thought that the smart way to issue international driving permits in volume would have been to fill in an online form, make the payment, and then have the permit posted to us at our registered address. If we’re really talking about 7 million annually renewably permits that strikes me as sensible. Or is there something about international driving permits that I’m misunderstanding?

Surely recognition of each others Driving licences is a fundamental thing, otherwise not only will WE holidaymakers not be able to drive in Europe, but working Truck drivers from the UK AND Europe will not be driving in each others Countries....a very silly outcome.

THEY have had 2 years to work these things out....we leave Europe on 29th March.

Dont remember all this Kerfuffle back in 1975 when we joined the Common Market.

Cattwg - 2019-01-06 3:01 PM

"Government has confirmed that if there is ‘no deal’ then mutual recognition of driving licences between the UK and EU may end.

This would mean that UK drivers wishing to drive in Europe after 29 March 2019 would need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP):

Looks like we could need more than one IDP if touring Europe or simply going through France into Spain.

And none of the Truck drivers from those Countries will be driving in the UK either, without mutual recognition of licences.

I can remember getting an international driving permit and seperate green card before we joined the eu, and being stopped at the border for a search. Great fun on a coach when we had to unload our luggage, carry it through customs and then load it again. It seemed to happen whenever Gibralter became an issue, but I had it in Malta as well with Don Mintoff.

Hack the eu off by refusing to pay our debts and it could all happen again.

Rayjsj - 2019-01-06 5:11 PM

Surely recognition of each others Driving licences is a fundamental thing, otherwise not only will WE holidaymakers not be able to drive in Europe, but working Truck drivers from the UK AND Europe will not be driving in each others Countries....a very silly outcome.

THEY have had 2 years to work these things out....we leave Europe on 29th March.

Dont remember all this Kerfuffle back in 1975 when we joined the Common Market.

I don’t intend to get into the great leave/remain in the EU debate – it’s all old ground now, but it’s worth pointing out that without an exit agreement, on the 29th March we shall become a 3rd country and consequently subject to 3rd country EU rules. Quite rightly, the remaining 27 countries of the EU should not make any exceptions for the UK otherwise all the other 3rd countries of the world will be clamouring for the same. I fully agree though that these issues should have already been resolved, and arguably they have been, albeit temporarily, by the current exit deal that has been negotiated but, as yet, not ratified by the UK parliament. I suspect that if ratification does not occur, then unless someone pulls a surprise rabbit out of the hat, then depending on the current administration’s objectives, we’ll see an extension to the article 50 deadline and either a general election or a referendum.

Incidentally, I have the vague recollection that the UK does not require foreign drivers to have an international driving permit as long as they have a valid driving licence issued in their home country.

At the present time only a few Post Office Branches will issue these Permits.

For example, in Kent only Canterbury, Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells will issue. For me that is a minimum 40 - 50 mile round trip plus parking in the centre. I never normally go to these towns/cities so it is an actual cost. So the £5.50 Fee they quote would be more like £15.00 for me.

Better to get it by post I think from the RAC for £8.00 or AA for £8.50

sandalwood - 2019-01-07 10:59 AM

If done the way you suggest open to fraud. How do you know the person on the photo is the person applying. The Post Office gave me mine, and all info

Not really. The photograph used will be the same as on your driving licence, the address stated will be the address associated with your driving licence, and under the current rules the international driving permit must be used in conjunction with your driving licence – ie it does not replace your driving licence when driving abroad so both licence and permit must be produced when demanded.

my wife had an IDP when i was in the army many years ago.mostly so she could drive in england. there are only a couple of countries in the world demand one, and i dont see that the EU will demand one off us. im sure that as long as your documents are legal in your own country, then they are recognised everywhere else. im sure that the americans, russians, africans, chinese etc etc dont have IDP's when they visit the EU or anywhere else for that matter. many of us travelled in europe before the EU and didnt have a problem, and many of us travel outside the EU now and dont have a problem,

trade wont be probleem cos sellers like to sell (to anyone) and buyers want to buy. there are machdonalds in every counrty in the world, including the EU, and tat goes for many other world companies.consider how much money is spent on audi merc, bmw and vw. every year. are germany going to say no you cant have any???. trade is trade. I i think these are scare stories being fired up by ex prime ministers and politicians who are worried that their cushy jobs in the EU are at stake. some even have there families feeding at the trough!!

just accept the vote and concentrate our money time and effort on a good resolution. when we next vote for a rulng party, im sure we will accept the outcome, we wont be calling for a new vote cos it wasnt clear enough.!! if you dont accept the majority vote, then you aree bowing to the minority vote, and thats NOT democracy.

i always have to show my passport at the port to france, and frequently get searched ( going and coming back). so no change there. and i dont see any restriction moving around in europe cos there are no borders!!!

KeithR - 2019-01-07 3:17 PM

my wife had an IDP when i was in the army many years ago.mostly so she could drive in england. there are only a couple of countries in the world demand one, and i dont see that the EU will demand one off us. im sure that as long as your documents are legal in your own country, then they are recognised everywhere else. im sure that the americans, russians, africans, chinese etc etc dont have IDP's when they visit the EU or anywhere else for that matter. many of us travelled in europe before the EU and didnt have a problem, and many of us travel outside the EU now and dont have a problem,

trade wont be probleem cos sellers like to sell (to anyone) and buyers want to buy. there are machdonalds in every counrty in the world, including the EU, and tat goes for many other world companies.consider how much money is spent on audi merc, bmw and vw. every year. are germany going to say no you cant have any???. trade is trade. I i think these are scare stories being fired up by ex prime ministers and politicians who are worried that their cushy jobs in the EU are at stake. some even have there families feeding at the trough!!

just accept the vote and concentrate our money time and effort on a good resolution. when we next vote for a rulng party, im sure we will accept the outcome, we wont be calling for a new vote cos it wasnt clear enough.!! if you dont accept the majority vote, then you aree bowing to the minority vote, and thats NOT democracy.

i always have to show my passport at the port to france, and frequently get searched ( going and coming back). so no change there. and i dont see any restriction moving around in europe cos there are no borders!!!

Some wishful thinking in there I think, but as I mentioned before, it’s old ground. To stay on topic though, as a third country it’s my understanding that the requirement for an international driver’s permit (IDP) is country specific and not EU wide. I believe the list of EU countries currently requiring an IDP from a driver with a 3rd country driving licence are Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Italy, Slovenia, and Spain (happy to be corrected on that). There’s a valid argument that as UK driving licences already conform to the EU format there should not be a requirement for an IDP (which is essentially the equivalent of an insurance green card). However, to my knowledge that waiver has not yet been agreed. If we crash out on the 29th March the implication would be that if we want to motor around France there’s unlikely to be an issue using our UK driving licence. Motoring around one of the countries I’ve listed, on the other hand, may be a different story especially given the enthusiasm of some law enforcement groups for on the spot fines. So ultimately, as always, it will come down to our appetite for risk and willingness to break the law – whatever it is – which at the moment we don’t yet know because all the balls are still in the air.

Incidentally, as an aside I was talking to a young UK resident Russian national. He wanted to drive in the UK but had not passed a test. So he paid someone to impersonate him and take the test on his behalf in Russia and with his Russian driving licence he now drives in the UK.

After being here 12 months (if he’s still here) he will of course have to take a UK driving test and exchange his Russian licence for a UK one. Russia of course is not the only country where one can buy a driving licence. There's a trade in everything.

Nevertheless, the current UK photocard driving licence is also an EU licence, as signified by the inclusion of the "EU ring of stars" on its top, left-hand, corner.

If/when we actually, legally, leave, I assume that a licence bearing the EU "insignia", which declares the licence holder to be a EU citizen, may not remain valid in the EU, irrespective of whether it may still be accepted within the UK.

It seems equally possible UK registered vehicles with Euro plates, declaring that the vehicle is registered in the EU and so conforms to EU norms, may also not be accepted.

This may be easily remedied with conventional GB plates and a bit of tape over the Euro ring of stars, but I'm less convinced that the driving licence will be quite so easily solved, as it is a legal document.

Brian Kirby - 2019-01-07 7:01 PM

Nevertheless, the current UK photocard driving licence is also an EU licence, as signified by the inclusion of the "EU ring of stars" on its top, left-hand, corner.

If/when we actually, legally, leave, I assume that a licence bearing the EU "insignia", which declares the licence holder to be a EU citizen, may not remain valid in the EU, irrespective of whether it may still be accepted within the UK.

It seems equally possible UK registered vehicles with Euro plates, declaring that the vehicle is registered in the EU and so conforms to EU norms, may also not be accepted.

This may be easily remedied with conventional GB plates and a bit of tape over the Euro ring of stars, but I'm less convinced that the driving licence will be quite so easily solved, as it is a legal document.

According to UK Gov website the bib is a "may no longer be valid by itself...." and "you may need to obtain an IDP". In other words, they don't know.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/driving-in-the-eu-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/driving-in-the-eu-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Given the catastrophes which have now become a daily occurrence i expect the best to do is get an IDP as a 'just in case'. DVLA should issue replacement photo id cards thereafter........and bill Brexiters for the cost.

Rayjsj - 2019-01-06 5:19 PM

And none of the Truck drivers from those Countries will be driving in the UK either, without mutual recognition of licences.

We aren't exactly in the position to tell 27 countries their truck drivers can't drive here as we're already in a desperate situation over how to get our "stuff" in which we need on a daily basis. I suppose they could always dump their trailers of food, medicines, clothing, electrical goods, booze, car parts etc off at Dover port if that's what you prefer?

I purchase a IDP every year for my annual pilgrimage to Europe. In AU they are issued by the motoring association in each state NOT a Govt department or Post Office. As has been stated above not all EU countries demand a IDP however in the countries that do (eg Italy) I have found the rental car companies will not allow you to hire a car unless you have an IDP. At the end of the day it is not a big deal just buy one and move on like the rest of us 3rd Countries.

The finer details of the changeover I suspect will be like the issuing of a software update where the software company waits for the users to complain about a non compliant issue and they then fix it. Cheers,

QUOTE...We aren't exactly in the position to tell 27 countries their truck drivers can't drive here as we're already in a desperate situation over how to get our "stuff" in which we need on a daily basis. I suppose they could always dump their trailers of food, medicines, clothing, electrical goods, booze, car parts etc off at Dover port if that's what you prefer?

Of course we are, Johnny Foreigner wants to sell his goods to us as much as we want to buy them.

Bulletguy - 2019-01-08 12:02 AM

Rayjsj - 2019-01-06 5:19 PM

We aren't exactly in the position to tell 27 countries their truck drivers can't drive here as we're already in a desperate situation over how to get our "stuff" in which we need on a daily basis. I suppose they could always dump their trailers of food, medicines, clothing, electrical goods, booze, car parts etc off at Dover port if that's what you prefer?

Sounds llke a good idea, it would save having a lot of LHD Trucks cutting us up on roundabouts, and just indicating and immediately pulling out ,

no matter what is alongside or overtaking them.

bring it on.....roll on 29th March....

Geeco - 2019-01-08 3:25 AM

I purchase a IDP every year for my annual pilgrimage to Europe. In AU they are issued by the motoring association in each state NOT a Govt department or Post Office. As has been stated above not all EU countries demand a IDP however in the countries that do (eg Italy) I have found the rental car companies will not allow you to hire a car unless you have an IDP. At the end of the day it is not a big deal just buy one and move on like the rest of us 3rd Countries.

The finer details of the changeover I suspect will be like the issuing of a software update where the software company waits for the users to complain about a non compliant issue and they then fix it. Cheers,

In the course of my research for an upcoming trip I discovered that France and Spain require IDPs based on different International Conventions, the 1949 and 1968 Conventions. I'm buying one of ech to be safe!

Stuart, I have checked the Aust Automobile Assn website and they do mention the 1949 convention however there is no mention of the 1968 version. I also checked my current IDP and it mentions only the 1949 convention. Both France & Spain are covered by the 1949 convention according to the AAA website. Congrats looks like you have a better research skill set than the AAA or the 1968 version may not have superceeded the 1949 version. Cheers,

Archived