If you want UK Aires then support this campaign

Matrix Meanderer

Good to read of the work to embarrass Redcar and Cleveland into giving serious consideration for an aire in Guisborough.

Could I make Forum members aware that there is a very well organised and active "Campaign for Real Aires" .

Details at: https://campra.org.uk/

This campaign has some excellent materials for free download including a Strategy Document in the "Resources" section

https://campra.org.uk/resources/

As we are all sat at home twiddling our thumbs and looking longingly outdoors, now is the time to hit the keyboard and send emails etc to local councils.

CAMpRA is getting support up to Ministerial level - have a look and join in, they have a very active Facebook site.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/campra.uk/

Matrix Meanderer - 2020-12-13 2:05 PM

Good to read of the work to embarrass Redcar and Cleveland into giving serious consideration for an aire in Guisborough.

Are you aware that the “First Municipal Aire” forum thread that mentions Redcar, Cleveland and Guisborough began in July 2006 and terminated in October 2007 (?) (?) (?)

Derek Uzzell - 2020-12-13 5:35 PM

Are you aware that the “First Municipal Aire” forum thread that mentions Redcar, Cleveland and Guisborough began in July 2006 and terminated in October 2007 (?) (?) (?)

Matrix - I wouldn’t say it was a matter of embarrassing Redcar and Cleveland Council into originally providing the aire. Admittedly, initially, it was an uphill struggle but to give the (then) labour administration their due once they listened to the reasoned arguments for such a facility they got behind it straight away.

Derek is also correct in pointing out that it was (the aire pilot scheme) terminated and this was for two reasons. First, despite huge support on this and other forums, magazines etc., the Council reported very few occasions when the facility was used in the trial period. Second, the opposition counsellors used this as a political ‘win’ by forcing the trial to come to an end on the basis that it wasn’t needed, or rather, used. This despite the fact that it would cost nothing to keep it open as all the initial costs of changing the legal parking order, consulting with the public and recalibration ticket machines had already been laid out.

I am all for any initiative that brings motorhome stopovers a step nearer to reality but this was a cautionary tale that although proves this can be done also supports the old adage “if you don’t use it you will lose it”.

David

Derek Uzzell - 2020-12-13 5:35 PM

I am now thanks.

Like it or not, in the UK touring motorcaravanners are considered as ‘travellers’ by many people and this does nothing to encourage local authorities to install motorhome ‘aires’ that might be exploited by the travelling community rather than being used ‘legitimately’ by motorcaravanners.

In 2016 the Red Meadow long-stay car-park at Ross-on-Wye was taken over eight times by travellers. The Hereford Times newspaper published the following article mentioning that a barrier at the car-park’s main entrance/exit had been approved.

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/14613124.barrier-approved-for-ross-on-wye-car-park-frequented-by-travellers/

Installing the barrier took a while, due to arguments about the barrier type, ‘legality’ issues and who would fund the exercise. But finally the barrier was put in place

https://tinyurl.com/ycmeq6rd

and (as reported on the following link) "The height restriction barrier at the exit to this car park is closed to vehicles over 2.0 meters between 5 pm and 8 am.”

https://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/carpark/red_meadow/hr9/ross_on_wye/?arriving=202012140800&leaving=202012141000

The Red Meadow car-park is directly behind an Aldi supermarket and, when my wife and I visited the store at 07:30 last Wednesday, most of the car-park was full of travellers’ vehicles. I was amused to see that, dominating the usual selection of white panel vans and caravans sprawled across the car-park was a massive (ie. 11 metres long) coach-style American RV. “So much for the barrier”, I thought.

So If CAMpRA would like a Continental European-type ‘aire’ (ie. the type with water refilling and waste-emptying facilities) in Ross-on-Wye, justifying that idea to local authorities and residents woiuld be a challenging task.

It is a challenging task - anywhere - Derek. But the problems are not insurmountable. The issue of travellers occurs infrequently on the continent even though they are as prevalent. 14 years ago it took me 3 years to achieve it a d the one thing that killed it off was lack of use - being used as a political excuse to get one over on the councillors that brought it in. Apathy comes in many firms and thinking something isn’t achievable is just one. There are even now existing examples of stopovers being adopted and they are not taken over by travellers. You may however, be right in saying that motorhomers are seen in a similar light - with good reason when some take the opportunity to stay for weeks at a time on an open car park with no regard for local opinion but chief amongst the many issues that, councils in particular, do not understand is simply the difference between motorhoming and caravanning. But all of the issues can be addressed with the right approach. One thing that my experience taught me is that there are some very good reasons why the councils have much to consider before an aire can be established. It was very much a two way learning experience but once both parties knew the difficulties and requirements of the other it was fairly easy to reach for solutions.

David

I'm hopeful that this campaign will create more aires across the UK.

I agree entirely about the traveller issue, something I've had to deal with throughout my professional career. Amongst other legislation there has been a power for local authorities to provide traveller accommodation since the Caravan Sites Act 1968. Which empowers all county councils to provide caravan sites for Gypsies and Travellers. However, perversely, whilst local authorities have the power to provide sites they are under no duty to do so. Many such formal site exist but they are clearly insufficient or there is a resistance by some of those communities to use them, preferring supermarket car parks, country parks, playing fields, roadside verges etc.

The CAMpRA campaign is achieving results by explaining the simple list of facilities and preferred locations for an aire plus describing the potential users. Looking at their Facebook page there is clearly a lack of knowledge not just by councillors but local authority officers as well about these requirements. This is being addressed by many of the campaign members.

So if nothing else, understanding of our motorhome overnight stay requirements outside of formal campsites is improving.

This, together with the absolute urgent need to increase local tourism footfall in many areas seems to be driving interest and hopefully new facility provision.

brugge - 2020-12-15 4:19 PM

I think they will do in england though, as everything is about making money!

Campsites that is not aires.

Possibly, but we're not very different from our continental neighbours in wanting everything cheap.

If we get to the stage of having a choice of aires, assuming they're similar, the cheapest one will fill up first.

But that's a long way ahead yet :-S

Just in case the readers of this post have not heard of it, there is a scheme for Motorhome owners called BRITSTOPS. You have to buy the directory which is published annually and cost about £35 and lists hundreds of locations in the UK that allow Motorhomes to stop for one night for free, but on the understanding that you partake in whatever the location is offering. It is mostly pubs but there are also farm shops, breweries, vineyards and other similar locations, but there are normally no facilities such as electricity, water, chemical disposal etc.

Once you have bought the directory, you receive a monthly e-mail with updates. Unfortunately, there have been many pubs dropping out this year due to closures.

My wife and I find them very useful to break a long journey.

Archived