Ignition Box fitted to Electrolux RM 212 3way refrgerator

Guest Mitch

I've no ignition spark from the box and the neon on the switch is not activated when switched on.Could it be wired incorrectly? Does anyone know of a way to test the operation of this device with an Avo 8 . I'm reluctant to spend £48 on a new one before I certain it's faulty.

Mitch Have had the same problem, the best way forward is to check out the fuse. If after still no joy check igniter has current present. This can a little bit nippy on the fingertips because you are talking about a very high voltage but thankfully very low current, so make sure that you wear thick rubber gloves. If the van has been standing for any length of time it could be that the igniter has got damp(my problem).If so dry off thoroughly and as switch earths through igniter you should be back in business. Another problem can be the switch itself being dirty it is safe to use switch cleaner aerosol from eg Maplins. I am concerned though about your reference to incorrect wiring is it a new van? if so take it back to the dealer immediately the same applies if anyone else has been working on the van wiring. Good luck Docted

Set the Model 8 left hand knob marked "D.C. Ranges" to the 25 volt range Set the Model 8 right knob marked "A.C. & Ohm Ranges" to the DC range (upwards). Connect the two leads to the terminals at the bottom two corners. The bottom left terminal is for the positive (red) wire. The bottom right terminal for the negative (black) wire. Connect the other ends of the wires to the 12 volt DC input terminals of the igniter together with the existing wires. With the van supply turned ON the meter should indicate 12 on the bottom scale - thats about half way across. My guess is that you have lost this supply so must find it. Its could be many things, fuse, bad chassis connection, faulty switch. The Igniter is probably the last component I would suspect - but you never know!. Oh yes, if the "Cut Out" button in the middle at the bottom has popped out you must lay the AVO on its back when you push it back in to reset it. Good luck

Guest pete walker
hi mitch, i have this problem if we don't use the van much over the winter months, and have found that if i run the engine and switch the fridge onto 12 volt it warms everything up and drives out the damp and then everything works fine. pete

Guest C.J.Mitchell
Docted. Many thanks for your advice.The fridge is in an aged Lunar caravan.I hold my hands up I was the one that didn't make a clear note of the connections when removing it. However with your help I have now ensured it is dry, the switch is making the earth connection and the other connections are correct but still no spark,so will have to look for a replacement. Thanks again for taking the trouble to give me advice. PS recently sold our Autotrail now looking for another smaller van. Mitch

Guest Mitch Mitchell
Hi Clive and Pete. Thanks a lot for your helpful advice as you will see the fault was in our old caravan which I was getting ready to dispose of.

Archived