Importing used from Europe

violet1

I know this has been covered before but when I searched all the posts that came up went back at least 5 years.

What I am trying to find out is the situation regarding insurance from the dealer in Europe back to home,

has anyone imported a van recently and got experience of this?

If you have imported a used van recently would be grateful for any other advice too.

Thanks

Have you considered using Bundesvan? We recently took delivery of our Aviano i645 via Bundesvan. Their charges were £125 for the inspection and a flat fee of £2,000. Extras that were chargeable were fuel, parking, flights, ferry and accommodation, all plus VAT. There was also the garage costs for the speedo overlay, MOT, headlights, fog and reversing lights change to UK spec and DVLA registration, but you will have these anyway. Total cost was just over £3,000 plus VAT. (Not including garage fees - another £600 but it included a years road tax) They rang us from the German dealers site whilst inspecting the motorhome and we emailed a list of items we wanted checked prior to the visit. They will negotiate a dealer to dealer price which may or may not be better than an individual gets but there are warranty implications with this.The selling dealer in effect hands over the warranty to the purchasing dealer, any warranty now rests with Bundesvan who will only offer an insurance backed warranty at an extra cost. We decided against this anyway as the cost savings are just about Euros to Pound, so at present with a 1.4 exchange rate, better than when we bought! there is enough saved to cope with something going wrong. They do charge 10% on any discount achieved on the advertised price, reduction on list price for the Aviano on the sale was 1,600 Euros.

Are we happy with Bundesvans service - yes. They were very good with their communication and they will advise potential buyers if the motorhome represents value and is a worthwhile purchase. Things that we never thought about deeply - all the manuals are in German, (no surprise there then). This reminds me of our first trip many years ago to France. We exit the ferry at Calais and I am reminding my wife that we're driving on the right and a voice of horror says "All the signs are in French!" Yep! I have since downloaded

the Aviano and Fiat manuals but some of the rest are more difficult. No ovens generally in European vans, and of course the 240v outlets are European, we intend to fit European plugs to all the appliances. No electric heating in this model, I believe the UK version does have. We had some difficulty insuring on the VIN number for more that 14 days, DVLA need an insurance cover note before issuing a registration number and although they did do this in under two weeks it is a risk and we could only find Safeguard who would do 30 days cover on the VIN.

Driving the LHD. Now I thought this would be easy. As with most males I consider myself to be a really competent driver, I've never hit a moving object in 40 years of driving. Reversing, occasionally things have moved! but I always crawl backwards so any damage is very minor. I was an IT rep when younger and drove many thousands of miles a year without incident. We have had a similar sized motorhome for about 7 years, driving through narrow roads in Wales and France no problem. Wow! this is not easy, I now realise how much I drive a RHD with just one hand - the right one! now change gear in a LHD and keep the rotten thing pointing in the desired direction. I have made a real effort to now drive with both hands on the wheel RHD but I'm still not in autopilot with LHD. The concentration required to keep the van hard left is like learning to drive again. I'm sure the right gear is in there somewhere! We are going away for Dec / Jan, first time to Spain so any advice other than practise very welcome. I'm hoping it will be more natural driving on the right.

Graham

I think you’ll find that, if you buy a secondhand motorhome from a Continental European dealer, the procedure will be generally similar to buying a new vehicle from a Continental European dealer.

Historically, insuring a motorhome bought in Germany and driven back to the UK by the buyer involved obtaining short-term registration and basic 3rd-party insurance in Germany and (if wished) ‘comprehensive’ insurance from a UK provider that became operable only when the motorhome had arrived in the UK. As far as I’m aware this procedure was only available if the vehicle were purchased in Germany and is still available today (though not many UK insurance providers nowadays will offer the ‘comprehensive’ insurance element).

A possible alternative was discussed here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Insuring-while-Importing/38701/

To which I would only add a caution to check that the used vehicle meets HM Customs and Revenue's requirement that, for it not to be classed as a new "means of transport" (important, as otherwise it will be subject to UK VAT on importation), it must have been originally registered for road use more than six months before you acquire it, and must show more than 6,000 km on its odometer.

Go onto the DVLC website and you can request a 'Importing a used vehicle' pack. It's FOC and contains all the info and forms you will need, they post it out to you very quickly.

Several insurance companies will give you comprehensive insurance on the VIN number for a limited time. We are with Staveley Head and following our own plans to import another Hymer from Germany in the very near future they will give us 7 days on the VIN, but will not extend it any further so you would need to have everything ready for when you arrive home or face having it sat outside with no insurance and then having to have it transported if the DVSA decide they want to inspect it.

Other than that, there are no real issues, Just go for it, it's the right time with the Pound being strong against the Euro.

Don't listen to the scaremongering about it being a minefield to do yourself, they are usually just after your money to do it for you.

Just remember you only need to change 3 things on the van.

1) The speedo must show MPH, you can use an overlay but can't just put it over the glass anymore, it must be on the speedo face.

2) Lights must dip to the left or be totally flat beam

3) Foglight must be changed to be on the Offside or centre of the van.

Donna

Can you be more explicit, please?

The reply from Stavely Head confirms that they would be prepared to insure (presumably ‘comprehensively') a Germany-obtained motorhome for a 7-day period using the vehicle’s VIN-number as identification. Nothing is said about whether the motorhome is covered by the insurance from the point-of-sale in Germany or only begins when the motorhome arrives in the UK.

A single comprehensive insurance policy covering the complete journey from the point-of-sale abroad to a home-address in the UK has always been the Holy Grail for UK private motorhome importers who wished to drive the vehicle home, but I was under the impression that no UK insurance provider would (or could) offer this nowadays. I was sold such a policy in 2005 when I imported my Hobby, but I was very wary of its validity outside the UK and, consequently, still had the Hobby temporarily registered and 3rd-party insured in Germany.

There is a lot of stuff on-line about motorhome importing, but it’s evident that much of it is old (example here)

http://www.europebycamper.com/p/import-guide_04.html

and a lot of the insurance-related advice from individuals who have imported motorhomes themselves in the past is clearly not current. However, received wisdom seems to be that it continues to be the case that no UK insurance provider will offer comprehensive insurance coverage (based on an imported motorhome’s VIN-number ) that’s in force while the vehicle is being driven from the point-of-sale abroad to its arrival in the UK.

Does the Stavely Head 7-day insurance policy cover an ‘all the way’ journey (German vendor to UK destination-address) or is it only valid after the motorhome reaches the UK?

..................................................................................................................................

The VCA application form relating to imported motorhomes can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/222591/apply-commission-notice-motorhomes.pdf

The lights/speedometer/rear fog-light requirements are specified in detail and the fee is £100.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-11-21 8:25 AM

Donna

Can you be more explicit, please?

The reply from Stavely Head confirms that they would be prepared to insure (presumably ‘comprehensively') a Germany-obtained motorhome for a 7-day period using the vehicle’s VIN-number as identification. Nothing is said about whether the motorhome is covered by the insurance from the point-of-sale in Germany or only begins when the motorhome arrives in the UK.

A single comprehensive insurance policy covering the complete journey from the point-of-sale abroad to a home-address in the UK has always been the Holy Grail for UK private motorhome importers who wished to drive the vehicle home, but I was under the impression that no UK insurance provider would (or could) offer this nowadays. I was sold such a policy in 2005 when I imported my Hobby, but I was very wary of its validity outside the UK and, consequently, still had the Hobby temporarily registered and 3rd-party insured in Germany.

There is a lot of stuff on-line about motorhome importing, but it’s evident that much of it is old (example here)

http://www.europebycamper.com/p/import-guide_04.html

and a lot of the insurance-related advice from individuals who have imported motorhomes themselves in the past is clearly not current. However, received wisdom seems to be that it continues to be the case that no UK insurance provider will offer comprehensive insurance coverage (based on an imported motorhome’s VIN-number ) that’s in force while the vehicle is being driven from the point-of-sale abroad to its arrival in the UK.

Does the Stavely Head 7-day insurance policy cover an ‘all the way’ journey (German vendor to UK destination-address) or is it only valid after the motorhome reaches the UK?

..................................................................................................................................

The VCA application form relating to imported motorhomes can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/222591/apply-commission-notice-motorhomes.pdf

The lights/speedometer/rear fog-light requirements are specified in detail and the fee is £100.

Derek and anyone else reading this;

Please don't take this the wrong way but several years ago after importing our motorhome I posted information for others benefit regarding the insurance cover we secured whilst importing it. Several members on here made it a personal quest to disprove what I had said by whatever means they could, including insult and illogical arguement, grown men? refusing to accept definitions of 'comprehensive' and calling me stupid to believe that you could cover a vehicle with two policies at once, despite one being a German mandatory cover on export plates. they demanded (not asked for, but demanded) proof which they were given in the form of letters sent to me personally from the government departments who are responsible for legislation of the insurance industry and a personal post from the CEO of the insurance company we used. Still these people were not satisfied and continued to fill the thread with " in my opinion" posts and anything else they could think of to disprove the information I spent valuable hours, days and weeks obtaining for members and to satisfy their demands.

So having contemplated doing it again I have put up the details as given to me, if you or others choose to use that information then fine, if you don't want to use it then fine. Just please don't ask me for further details, the onus is on you to make further enquiries. If you discover the policy offered only covers you from the point of entry then don't come back and say I was wrong because I'm not telling you it does or doesn't.

I'm sorry but after the treatment and abuse I received last time I tried to help I'm not making phone calls or any other enquiries for anyone else, Once bitten, twice shy.

Well said Donna, if anyone is contemplating doing anything like this themselves they should make the relevent enquiries about the legalities with regards to insurance cover with whoever they insure with, I doubt it will stand up in court if you say " Donna Miller said it was O.K" on the internet forum. Simple answer is, ask where you start, but look for yourself and get answers in writing.

Comfort Insurance will only issue a 30 day cover note to insure on the VIN for the purpose of obtaining the road tax.

They then require you to give them the reg number before you can drive it. So you'll have to go elsewhere if you want something different.

Archived