Insurance

niktam

I've been driving for nearly 50 years and the last 40 or so in company cars covering approaching a total approaching 2m miles and besides one claim in the 80's when we arrived back to our Sierra parked in Athens and someone had caved the side in I'm struggling to get any no claims bonus on insuring my own car. I've current M/C insurances but the NCB is on the individual bikes already.

I've been with my present employer for 18 years so they can list all the cars I've had and the mileages when sold but has anyone got any guidance as to who will accept such evidence.

Can only suggest you try phoning a few companies/brokers. I got a lot of years NCB when we got our 'van, because I had NCD on car insurance, and they seemed to recognise I was a good driver.

Also useful to phone anyway - I got a good quote recently through GoCompare, but tried my "phoning test" to see how it would shape up if I wanted to contact them for a claim. No reply; even allowing for Cobvid-19 issues, it didn't impress me as a well organised company.

Years ago when I moved from a company car to my own car my company provided a letter from our internal insurance division confirming my claim free driving record. The company effectively self insured as it was so large. No Robles using that to get full NCD.

For the last 15 years my only vehicles have been a couple of classic cars, a motorhome, and a motorbike. Late last year I decided that using a 45 year old car for everyday transport was not overly practical so bought something more modern. The only policy of the four to offer NCD was the bike, and that is not transferrable to a car. I got a few quotes for the new car and the absence of NCD didn't seem to make any difference. All wanted to know how many years I had been driving without accident, but none asked for proof. I went with LV and paid around the same as I would had I had maximum NCD. A couple of dummy runs on comparison sites confirmed that most insurers take the same line.

Many thanks for the replies.

Direct Line looks a late contender as they accept "a company car NCD" the only issue seems to be that the company car use seems to be in the past tense so it reads as you don't still drive it now so I'II call them in the morning.

Also my wife has a car insured with DL and I'm a named driver so that adds to the party so the quote has now more than halved so looking good for now.

Archived