Insurance

varonda

Hells bells just got the renewal through for the van insurance an it's nearly double that from last year -- the only thing different to last year is that the van , me, the wife and the dog are a year older so why such a big increase ? they've surely been paying less out due to us all being stuck in lockdown but paying our premiums in the hope we'll soon be back on the road so can some one explain please? bearing in mind I'm only a grumpy Yorkie with short arms an long pockets ;-)

Always worth shopping around, even if you stay with same insurer (or broadband supplier, energy supplier etc) you have the satisfaction of knowing you have a good deal.

How long have you been with present insurer? They are notorious for a good deal in year one, then upping it in year two, especially if they kindly renew "automatically to save you needing to contact them."

I also like to try phoning anyone I get a good deal from, to make sure they will be there when I need them. My last broker gave a good renewal price last April, but didn't answer the phone! No excuses about Covid, it's going to be with us for the foreseeable future and if companies haven't reorganised to cope, then sorry, no use to me.

Well, that's my two-penny's worth!

I understand that it is no longer legal for insurance companies to offer lower premiums for new customers than existing. That doesn't mean that premiums won't rise for everyone, so searching extensively at renewal time is essential. Not all policies are available on comparison sites so going direct or through a broker is necessary. There is a general problem though for those over 80 as generally insurance companies won't take on new customers, whereas they will continue to cover existing ones.

Dick

DickB - 2020-10-21 11:28 PM

I understand that it is no longer legal for insurance companies to offer lower premiums for new customers than existing...

Dick

Unfortunately, that’s not so YET.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/09/insurers-face-ban-on-hiking-prices-for-existing-customers-at-ren/

https://www.ft.com/content/40969e49-1484-4f80-80f2-85e00d33635c

Regarding the original posting, I THINK varonda’s motorhome may be a 2013 (or so) Autocruise Rhythm panel-van conversion and - if that’s so - there would be nothing unusual about its specification or value to force up an insurance premium excessively. Which leaves the over-80 age factor that DickB mentions.

If I were varonda, on receiving the insurance renewal quoting a hugely increased premuium, I’d be going back to the insurance provider and asking for an explanation.

A rise in premiums was widely reported for 2017 and the reasons were mentioned here

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/motorhome-insurance-premiums-set-to-rise

but I’m not aware of anything similar occurring now.

The “nearly double” renewal figure might be a simple mistake (it happens...) or there’s a reason for it, but it’s unrealistic to expect an internet forum to offer a credible explanation with so little background. As Auditor has indicated, massive insurance renewal price increases clearly aren’t universal.

I always get quotes from at least two other insurance companies. It can be tedious filling in the online forms but as we're not going anywhere at the moment, time is available.

This year I received the most unbelievable quote for my standard Adria coachbuilt.

Club Care insurance (who I've used before) quoted £8,250 !! I kid you not.

I rang them assuming this was a computer glitch but after checking my details they said the quote was correct *-)

Unbelievable.

So I'm sticking with the excellent Comfort Insurance paying £340 (without breakdown insurance) on our 2020 MH.

Shopping around is necessary but it makes you wonder when you get such a stupid quote :-S

It’s common in the insurance industry to ‘price out’ business that’s not wanted. So for instance if there are too many older clients on the books future quotations will be high enough to price them out. Likewise for instance if an underwriter was moving away from a particular class of motor insurance – eg wished to exit motorhome insurance. If an underwriter aims to maintain a particular balance of risk they may even alter their premiums from month to month in order to maintain a balanced spread of risk (types of insured). A lot of algorithm tweaking goes on these days. And yes, they do make daft mistakes sometimes, there’s seldom human involvement in issuing a quotation so definitely challenge the quotation.

As others have said, always shop around, it’s easy to do online/on the telephone. I’ve just changed by car insurer. They’d increased the insurance premium by 8% having already increased it by 5% the previous year. So after being a customer for four years I’ve changed and in the process saved myself 30% with increased cover.

BruceM - 2020-10-22 10:05 AM

It’s common in the insurance industry to ‘price out’ business that’s not wanted. So for instance if there are too many older clients on the books future quotations will be high enough to price them out. Likewise for instance if an underwriter was moving away from a particular class of motor insurance – eg wished to exit motorhome insurance. If an underwriter aims to maintain a particular balance of risk they may even alter their premiums from month to month in order to maintain a balanced spread of risk (types of insured). A lot of algorithm tweaking goes on these days. And yes, they do make daft mistakes sometimes, there’s seldom human involvement in issuing a quotation so definitely challenge the quotation.

As others have said, always shop around, it’s easy to do online/on the telephone. I’ve just changed by car insurer. They’d increased the insurance premium by 8% having already increased it by 5% the previous year. So after being a customer for four years I’ve changed and in the process saved myself 30% with increased cover.

Interesting answer thanks. However, this was the Caravan & Camping Club insurance arm so why would they not want my fairly simple business? I've insured with them several times but not since I moved to Comfort Insurance.

Looking forward to receiving their regular email encouraging me to buy their insurance - I'll compose a suitably robust reply :-D

Well it might just be that the quotation system screwed up, hence my suggestion that you challenge your insurance quotation.

The Camping and Caravanning Club are of course just the broker with the underwriter being Vantage Insurance Services https://www.vantageinurance.co.uk/about-us/our-brands/. In actual fact it’s unlikely that the Club will have any awareness of your insurance quotation and if you telephone them to query it you’ll probably find yourself talking to someone at Vantage Insurance rather than the Club as I suspect that the insurance product is just a ‘white label’ product.which is branded Camping & Caravanning Club for sales purposes. No skulduggery, just a common approach in insurance referred to as ‘affinity insurance’. For instance before they took it in-house, SAGA Insurance was totally outsourced to Bain Hogg (now AON) as an affinity deal, the latter providing all the brokerage service including selection of underwriters.

Just out of interest I asked for a motorhome insurance quotation for my 2015 Rapido motorhome via the Club Care on-line system and the quote was £418.74

To produce a quotation of £8250 there MUST be something in the information you provided for that figure to result. Presumably the Vantage Insurance representative just reentered the data you’d input on-line into their own Club Care quotation application (with the same £8250 response) and - I would have thought - should have been able to identify why the £8250 was being produced. I find it difficult to believe that a Vantage Insurance employee would think £8250 was in any way ’normal’ or ‘average’ for a motorhome insurance quotation and wouldn’t wonder what the reason was for the very high premium.

(As you’ve got time on your hands, you might try repeating the Club Care on-line quotation procedure several times with different data to see if you can identify what’s bumping up the quotation. I requested a 2nd Club Care on-line quotation changing my age (76) to 89 and the quote rose to £1003.43 - but it would be a big leap from there to £8250. )

Just to update on my original post -- I've not yet reached the 3 score and 10 so that shouldn't be an issue , the PVC is on an 11 plate and is by Autocruise , by the way the insurance company is SAGA , after getting the renewal Mr Google provided several prices all very much of a muchness but also a lot cheaper than the renewal quote, so with that info I contacted SAGA and spoke to a very nice young lady and we got the price down to a realistic level and she offered, for another £30 to guarantee the premium for 3 years, so for the sake of 30 beer vouchers I've taken that offer as at my time of life things like insurance only ever go up . I'm still of the opinion that insurance companies are conning thieving barstewards that will do anything not to payout and on renewal just think of a number , double it and hope we'll lay down and surrender . Sorry about the rant however we is now taxed tested an insured and just going back into lockdown :-S

Unfortunately it's the yearly grind of having to reinsure and chase premiums for vehicles, house, caravans etc. Probably the least successful insurance in trying to improve the premium with is pet insurance, where existing pre conditions play a part.

Searching through this forum will give a idea of which firms to approach, and maybe consider membership of a motoring / camping club which offers insurance as a member service. Years ago, I got a good deal with Adrian Flux on my Rapido through the Lotus 7 Club !

Whilst joining a club may not be your ideal, membership does offer a sort of pre screening service that insurance companies may look more favourably at an application not otherwise offered.

At the end of the day, it's all about money and risk.

Rgds

I've just Insured my Danbury Active (on a Renault Trafic 1.9L diesel} Campervan with Lifesure brokers via comparethemarket for what seems to be a very reasonable figure (30 % less than through the CMHC's broker) learning on the way that there is a different website than the one for cars etc

Archived