International Driving Permit

Wilf

Wilf - 2019-02-01 2:37 PM

I thought that you would be interested in this story I found on MSN: British motorists must apply for 70-year-old permit to drive in EU after no-deal Brexit

http://a.msn.com/08/en-gb/BBT2084?ocid=se

There have been one or two threads on IDPs in January - they are available from post offices.

We have voted for " the old days " so I'm not surprised that we will go back to "old" permits ( IF there is no deal ).

;-)

These were the January 2019 IDP-related forum threads

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Going-Abroad-this-Spring/51021/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/IDPs/51139/

The Post Office’s IDP Country Checker on-line tool (mentioned in the link Wilf provided) is here

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

(I notice that the PO's Branch Finder on-line tool still shows just the 89 PO branches that historically could issue IDPs, rather than the 2500 branches that (potentially) should be able to issue IDPs with effect from 1 February 2019.)

Luckily (being forewarned) my wife and I applied for the IDPs before 31st January from the AA and received them with no fuss at all. We are in Portugal until well after the due date for the "B" word and wanted to make sure that we were covered whatever happened. The AA sent the IDPs to a local Post Office in Albufeira for us.

Such a pity that the AA and RAC can no longer issue them.

Cheers

malc d - 2019-02-01 4:05 PM

Wilf - 2019-02-01 2:37 PM

I thought that you would be interested in this story I found on MSN: British motorists must apply for 70-year-old permit to drive in EU after no-deal Brexit

http://a.msn.com/08/en-gb/BBT2084?ocid=se

We have voted for " the old days " so I'm not surprised that we will go back to "old" permits ( IF there is no deal ). ;-)

Maybe DVLA will go back to the red booklet type driving licence of the 60's in keeping with the blue passport. What an 'achievement''. *-)

I don't know whetehr it's because the Post Office Locator website has yet to be updated but as of this morning there are still only two Post Offices in the whole of East Anglia where you can get an IDP issued, one in Norwich and the other in Ipswich. There are supposed to be 2,500 altogether in UK; perhaps there are plenty of them everywhere except East Anglia!

StuartO - 2019-02-04 10:11 AM

I don't know whetehr it's because the Post Office Locator website has yet to be updated...

I mentioned in my posting of 1 February 2019 4:48 PM above that the PO’s Branch Finder tool still only showed the original 89 branches that were able to issue IDPs in the past. The tool has now been updated.

Click on the following link

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/branchfinder

then select “Choose a service”.

In the “Driving” section there are now two "International Driving Permits” entries

International Driving Permits - New

International Driving Permits - Legacy

Choose the former entry for the updated information.

(Update -- The “New” and “Legacy” entries have now (10 February) been removed. Searching for a Post Office branch that issues IDPs now retrieves the latest data relating to the 2500 branches offering this service.)

Well done, Derek! The oddest thing is that it only seems to work if one follows exactly the sequence you set out. If I omit to choose branchfinder as the first option, but instead go straight to "Products and Services" - "Travel" - "International Driving Permits" - "How do I apply" - and then use the Branch finder tool by entering the post code, our local PO doesn't come up. Your way, it does.

So folk looking for a PO near them that can issue an IDP should take care to select the branchfinder window first, and then "Refine branch services (optional)", and only then select Driving + "International Driving Permits-New".

Just got mine from the local PO, took about 5 mins. What a waste of paper, though. Four pages and a cardboard cover, and very bulky, compared to my credit card sized licence. Thanks Brexit. It does not say which Euro countries its valid for, just nine languages explaining the class of vehicles you can drive. Just realised the lady who did mine did not put in the permit number, looks like another trip to the PO.

PS anyone know how to delete a thread? I mistakenly started a new one instead of replying to this one.

(Deleted on your behalf - Derek Uzzell)

rael - 2019-02-04 4:52 PM

Just got mine from the local PO, took about 5 mins. What a waste of paper, though. Four pages and a cardboard cover, and very bulky, compared to my credit card sized licence. Thanks Brexit. It does not say which Euro countries its valid for, just nine languages explaining the class of vehicles you can drive. Just realised the lady who did mine did not put in the permit number, looks like another trip to the PO.

PS anyone know how to delete a thread? I mistakenly started a new one instead of replying to this one.

(Deleted on your behalf - Derek Uzzell)

Cheers Derek!

This is just idle curiosity... ;-)

There seems to be a high degree of focus by UK motorcaravanners on obtaining an IDP (or IDPs) now prior to travelling abroad in 2019, but are these motorcaravanners also considering the other issues that are likely to arise in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit

(I can appreciate people (like Frankkia) taking precautionary action regarding IDPs if they went abroad prior to 1 February and will still be abroad in April, but if that’s not the case what’s the rush to get an IDP 2 months early?)

Derek Uzzell - 2019-02-04 3:33 PM

The cost of an IDP is £5.50, but the IDP validity-duration depends on its type.

For example, the IDP for Spain is the 1949 type (1 year validity) whereas the IDP for France is the 1968 type (3 years validity).

Agreed however the validity of the 1968 one will not extend beyond the validity of your "main" licence.

Got my 1948 one in late March and the 1968 one yesterday. The PO assistant had not done one before so she had her laminated instruction manual in one hand. Very helpful and charming though but it took quite a while. Its a very old fashioned process with manual filling in and lots of rubber stamps so it is definitely taking us back in time in more ways than one.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-02-05 8:53 AM

This is just idle curiosity... ;-)

There seems to be a high degree of focus by UK motorcaravanners on obtaining an IDP (or IDPs) now prior to travelling abroad in 2019, but are these motorcaravanners also considering the other issues that are likely to arise in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit

(I can appreciate people (like Frankkia) taking precautionary action regarding IDPs if they went abroad prior to 1 February and will still be abroad in April, but if that’s not the case what’s the rush to get an IDP 2 months early?)

I assume you are referring to things like the need for an actual International Insurance Certificate (or "Green Card") from your insurer, to confirm that you have the minimum insurance required for whatever country you are in?

A "no deal" Brexit would apparently mean that the present wording on the reverse of the insurance certificate will cease to be relevant as evidence of insurance as soon as Britain leaves the EU. If an agreement is reached, this may not arise.

Another matter is that existing number plates that have "GB" surmounted by a ring of stars (Euro plates) will no longer be legal in the EU once UK leaves. These plates must be replaced front and rear. It seems that to comply with the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, plates may be available with "GB" contained in the margin (but not surmounted by the ring of stars), or that plain plates must be substituted, accompanied by a conventional (black lettering on an elliptical white background) "GB" sticker on the rear of the vehicle.

In the absence of a "deal" with the EU that introduces alternative arrangements to the above, these new requirements will come into force at the point of our departure from the EU - so anyone whose EU travel would start after, or bridge, that date (whenever it occurs) will need to have obtained the appropriate IDP/s, Green Card and new number/GB plates before leaving.

The procedure for the 1949 convention IDP is that it is dated for one year from the date of travel, i.e. post dated by up to three months.

As mentioned the 1968 IDP lasts for three years or sooner main iicence expiry.

So no disadvantage in getting them early and advantage is that they might run out and/or last minute queues might be avoided.

I have never been a fan of "Euro plates" because not every country we have been to is in the EU. So I have always just used a next big old fashioned GB sticker.

That just leaves the green card I think.

FWIW I cannot see Britain coming out except on a no deal basis, a shocking tale of negotiating incompetence and political intransigence as well as breathtaking arrogance across the UK political spectrum.

HymerVan - 2019-02-05 10:48 AM

...So no disadvantage in getting them early and advantage is that they might run out and/or last minute queues might be avoided...

The disadvantage of obtaining an IDP (or IDPs) now is simply that one might be paying £5.50 (or £11.00) for something that (presumably) won’t be needed if there is a 'deal’ Brexit.

It seems likely to me that some sort of UK/EU agreement will eventually be cobbled together that can be considered by the UK and the EU as a ‘deal’ and, if that happens, that the tolerance that the UK is prepared to offer EU motorists driving in the UK post-Brexit will be reciprocated.

(I know where to get an IDP and how to get an IDP. I shall not be driving in Continental Europe until April 2019 and I certainly don’t envisage IDPs 'running out’ or there being long queues at the several Post Office branches near my home that can issue IDPS. So I’m hanging on to my cash till things firm up...)

Archived