Internet?

weldted

Thoughts please, now spending more and more time away looking at doing away with the house broadband line rental package. Getting a SIMM only data package and using my Huawei mifi.

Have been using it France Spain and Portugal fine. Not heavy users of data and aware of caps when in Europe, but £20 odd pound a month for maybe six months at home a year is £120 wasted. Well aware re Brexit etc, just want to know the pros and cons. We don't use the landline for outgoing calls as have unlimited on mobiles.

Hi weldted,

We don't have access to high speed broadband via cable, so we use a Sim only Data package at home in a dedicated MIFI type box with an external aerial.

Works fine for us, just check that your MIFI box can give you the speed you need at home.

You might also consider a Vodafone unlimited data, sim, (but I can't tell if you are allowed to use one in a MIFI device.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/best-sim-only-deals

Regards,

Paul

I have a sim only deal with 3 for £20 pm unlimited everything in the UK, when abroad I’m limited to 19gb of data a month. I just use my phone as a hotspot and tether the iPad and the laptop to it. I watch Netflix and you tube no problem. 3 have a deal atm unlimited data for £22 pm the first 6 months half price at £11 pm.

We have a MotorhomeWifi external aerial with a Huawei mifi unit attached and have been using it for the last few months in UK and France with a 3 sim only data card. Found speed was faster than iPad at home and have only ever had one place where it didn't want to play.

David

This works for us and maybe worth considering

We have 3 mobiles in the family plus the MiFi

We have a mixture of tariffs all on EE but what we can do is all share our data allowances so just move what we need to across to the MiFi unit as required when we are away. EE also seems to give us the best overall coverage.

Thanks for all your replies, purchased a data SIMM over the phone was quoted £25 per month for 30 GB

Recived the bill account starting the day I ordered it. Seven days later no SIMM and noticed being billed at £30 a month. Rang up to complain and cancel, ended up with 50 GB £20 per month (Vodafone) no cap.

• 10 months later...

Likewise, dumped our landline and switched to 3 mobile for £20 per month. Unlimited UK data, txts and calls and 19GB data whilst abroad in over 70 countries. And like others we use the mob as a hotspot for streaming, and as a general wifi service in the house. As my (elderly) mother-in-law lives abroad we also subscribe to a skype-in landline telephone number for about £40 / yr . This provides a landline number she can phone which then comes through to skype on the mob.

Consequently, wherever we are we have data, voice and can receive ‘home land-line’ type calls. When you’re reminded that the rental of a landline alone costs about £20/month it’s remarkable that more people haven’t gone down this root especially when you note that when 5G arrives we’ll have more over the air data capacity then we’ll know what to do with.

The only cautionary note I’d add is that if you use one of the older remotely monitored burglar alarms on your home it will probably require a landline so worth checking..

Archived