Intro - and Portugal and Spain questions

Bonsoir a tous,

We are Mike and Maria, Brits retired in SW France for the last ten years, and returning to Motorhoming (Camping Caristes) after a four year break. We now have a 2015 Challenger Sirius 3088 which is luxurius for us after our previous, much loved, 1992 Hymer B544 which took us to Spain, Venice, the Med and the UK during our seven years of ownership.

We have spent January and February in a rented apartment in Nerja on the Costa del Sol for several years now, and committed ourselves to the same in 2019 before we acquired the Challenger. No problem, there's a large, quiet parking spot outside the apartment so we'll leave it there and use it to spend a few days in Seville and Granada plus days out to the beach spots we know Camping Cars frequent. Friends sharing have a car, we have bicycles and we hope to have a scooter installed in the garage by then.

So, this year we are leaving Charente Maritime in mid-December intending to spend a couple of weeks heading in the direction of Portugal and then returning to the apartment in Nerja for early January. At the end of Feb we'll head back with two weeks to explore either the north of Spain or the south of France aiming to get home Mid March.

I've browsed the Forum for info and am grateful to all those who've already added their six penn'orth, but we're still undecided as to routes or places of interest.

Our impression on a previous visit was that the north of Spain was unfriendly to Camping Cars and although we have enjoyed our trips through the Somport tunnel route to Spain (in a 4x4) the memory of the overhanging rocks haunts me when I think of our current 3m height! Any opinions or info would be much appreciated.

Apologies for the long, general and rambling post.

Mike

Hi both

Our motorhome is 2.9m high and we have been through Sominport Tunnel without a care in the world, particularly following a lorry higher than we were! My only concern would be approaching from France where the roads are a bit narrow and somewhat twisty- no problem if it is dry and sunny but I would not like to do it in ice and snow.

The other point to remember is that northern Spain can be quite / very cold at that time of year and a quick sprint to south of Madrid is really whats required to get some warmth.

Have a good trip

Bob

We've gone the Somport Tunnel way many times, (THough not in winter) We where over 3m, due to dome on roof. No problems what so ever. As has been said, large lorries use the route

We liked Northern Spain , though again cold and wet in later months.Best to head south to-wards Valencia , and further south, in winter.Somport to Zaragoza, and then south , very good route , be aware that you may need to book sites in Spain for winter , as they do get busy

PJay

Thanks for the input.

In retrospect I think my memory of 'overhanging rocks' may be from the descent on the French side the year we came back over a pass instead of the tunnel .

Even in the car we watched the weather, but most years the tunnel was fine in early January and forthe return in late Feb. Agreed that the climb on the French side is 'interesting'!

In fact the only problem we've ever had was on the motorway to Madrid from an overnight stop in Zaragosa

in Jan this year when we were in the early part of the snowstorm that later shut the motorway. 4WD to the rescue, but I think we if we'd been in the Camping Car we would have just pulled in to one of the service stations we passed earlier and put the kettle on!

I'd be interested to know what route people take to Portugal and any interesting stops on the way. We're in SW France, so our logical route into Spain is via Biarritz, and the more interesting one is through the Somport. Crossing the Pyranees by heading to the Med via Carcassone is a possibility too. We're in no hurry, at least two weeks to get to Portugal and back to Nerja.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Mike

Hi Mike

We have also done the route from La Bou Lou (France) on the m way. , probably a good route in winter, as a lot of HGV use the route as far as La Jonquera .(Spain) Possibly worth paying tolls, in winter, as I guess the M Ways are kept clear , for HGV use Depends where you are in France prior to crossing

The spanish tolls are a lot cheaper than the French ones!

PJay

Hi again Mike

We have in the past driven down on the main road as far as Caceras, then turned right and gone Pontalegre , Estremoz, Evora.

Evora is a nice little hilltop town with a great town square where it is free to park . We have also driven Caceras, Badajoz Elvas and Evora but this road, whilst interesting,very pretty and easy to drive for most of the way suddenly becomes a single carriageway road which then drops down hundreds of feet via a series of hairpin bends with no barriers. It went very quiet in the cab!

If you have never been to Lisbon I would recommend a few days there, it is a wonderful city, and, if you like fish and seafood the town of Peniche, north of Lisbon, is an absolute must.

Have a great trip, we are heading over in early January and Nerja is on our list of places to visit.

bob

We leave in Januarys and aim to get to the Valencia area and better climate as soon as possible.

Three days toll free from the channel ports, via Somport. Regular free overnights Roullet-Saint-Estèphe and Oleron-Saint-Marie.

For Portugal, toll free from Hendaye to Salamanca, turn left to go South. Turn right at Mérida and cross the border at Badajoz.

Free overnight stops in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Cáceres and Evora in Portugal

Thank you everybody for the input. We have the maps now and are poring over them tracing your routes and suggestions, perhaps we can keep you posted as we make our way around?

Bob, although we've spent January and February in Nerja for the last three years we had only looked at it from a 'what if' Camping Car point of view, but it is a lovely town and well worth a visit, It is very cosmopolitan and has held on to its character it's very different from the rest of the Costa del Sol in the winter.

There are a couple of beach-side parking areas for Camping Cars on the west side beteen Torrox Costa and Nerja but I don't know whether they are free or basic campsites.

There is parkiing in the central car park at Nerja but it's expensive - not sure whether overinghting is allowed.

Camping Cars still use a previously authorised park at the western end of Burriana Beach, but it's tight and anything over 6m is going to have problems.

Just to the east, past Maro, the coast road has been modernised leaving loops of the old road with spectacular coastal views which are frequently used for wild camping.

If you do get to Nerja and see a French-plate Challeger Sirius or two oldies on a French scooter that will probably be us!

We're in Portugal at the moment and came via the North Spanish coast and Galicia. Galicia has been the high point of the trip thus far; wonderful scenery, good roads and very motorhome friendly. We're not enjoying Portugal nearly as much. Shocking roads, impatient & bullying drivers make the journeying quite stressful and the toll alternatives are relatively expensive. I've never seen litter as bad as this anywhere - the place is something of a dump (amost literally..). Nice weather though!

• 3 months later...

Archived